Choquequirao Trek 4 Days With Locals
Choquequirao trek 4 days–Trace ancient footsteps with a local private Trek Leader on this 4-day hiking expedition to the incomparable Choquequirao lost Incan city.
Make your way to Choquequirao starting at Capuliyoc a place where everyone starts and end your adventure at a different point where just fewer hikers finish or sometimes nobody even finishes at this place as they usually go back by the same trail to finish at Capuliyoc the beginning of the trail. Making this trail this way, you will hike the complete loop of this amazing trail.
It has been more than 100 years since explorer Hiram Bingham first rediscovered the existence of Choquequirao, and over 150 years since the french explorer discovered, and the majesty of the citadel has not diminished since. As modern-day adventurers, we begin our trip with a 4-day trekking to reach this hidden Inca citadel, and explore on a fully supported trek by a private Trek Leader, private muleteers, and private cook.
Our journey along the Choquequirao trek 4 days begins from there. Climb through beautiful mountain valleys filled with wild orchids and rainbow-colored mosses. Camp each evening off with good conversation and deluxe camping accommodations. The journey along the trail comes to a close as we descend to the Cradle of Gold Incan citadel, Choquequirao larger than Machu Picchu and way less known by travelers, which makes you feel as the first in arriving and discovering. Experience the peace and solitude of these incomparable lost city of the Incas–Choquequirao trek 4 days. Join Us!
Join us for the adventure of a lifetime – give us a call at +51 984 464 391 or shoot us an email at email@example.com to learn more or book your spot today!
This trip is officially operated by Peru Summit Adventures, a 100% local tour operator based in Cusco.
Highlights on Choquequirao Trek 4 Days:
- Trek to lost Incan city–Choquequirao since the hands of local experts who born, lived, hiked here that’s a real PLUS for a genuine experience.
- Hike and follow this trail on a complete LOOP, starting at different point and ending at another different point.
- Trek in a high Andean realm. Stay in a mountain 4 season roomy tents (Black Diamond tents/ North Face Summit Series tents).
- Your own private guide, muleteers, horses, delicious camp cuisine prepared by your personal cook.
- Soak in views of snow-capped Andean peaks and awe-inspiring ruins sites.
- Challenging trek to a hidden Incan city that sees few visitors.
- Small groups, Big Adventures (min 2 – max 8 / average 4).
- Learn about the Coca plant, Cocoa plant, and other local fruits
- Choquequirao trek 4days direct & official local tour operator with headquarter in Cusco, accredited by the Peruvian Ministry of Tourism.
We need a minimum of 02 people to depart to Choquequirao trek 4 days. Family groups, friend travelers, couple travelers or even if you’re a SOLO traveler, you are welcome to our adventure Choquequirao Trek. Prices are per person which are based on two people who might share a room / tent. The itinerary is described and based on small group service; however, you are looking for a private service, that would be upon request.
The Smallest Groups en Route “Choquequirao Trek 4 Days” – Averaging Just 4 Travelers
Could you imagine trying to hike silently along an isolated trail, carefully not disturbing shy wildlife, with 10 or 20 other travelers? Or walking on a remote area to explore the pristine wilderness with dozens of other tourists at your side? We know meaningful nature encounters must be undertaken in small groups. That’s why our trips come with an average of just four travelers, by far the smallest groups in the tourism industry across the country. This not only guarantees you more personal close-up wildlife experience, but a less-impact presence on the earth’s brittle natural places we love.
We Deliver on Our Promises
We are very confident the quality of our journeys will get your expectations and that you will savor the best possible of cultural travel experience, nature travel experience, and adventure travel experience if you are dissatisfied, we’ll happily give you credit for an extra trip or for a future journey. It’s, to our knowledge, the best guarantee in the travel business.
Think Green, Think Global for a Better Place for Everyone
Traveling with us you are making a big difference in favor of the environment, our trips are rated as eco-friendly trips to ensure that fragile ecosystems are protected and maintained for future human generations, also maintain ecosystem and environment integrity through considering a sustainable and ethical business model. Making genuine and sustainable itineraries often translates to real costs, with a host of responsible travel practices that underpin our prices.
- Upgraded Comfort
- 1 2 3 4 5 6, Strenuous: Designed for experienced active travelers in excellent physical condition. Full-day hikes (6-9 hours), mountainous, steep terrain (hiking up or down as much as 3,500 ft) on many hikes. 4-day to 6-day trips with hiking at average altitudes of 10,000 to 14,500 ft are in this category with some exposed sections.
- Hiking / Trekking, Camping, Cultural Adventures.
- 4 season Black Diamond tents/ North Face Summit Series tents designed for 4 people which are used only for 2 people, come with sleeping pads “Therma-Rest”, and Pillows.
- While we expect the tour will run as the itinerary describes. Participants should accept that there is the possibility of changes, being necessary liable to local conditions, e.g, strikes, natural disasters, these changes might be at the discretion of your travel company.
US$ 660/ per person (loop option available May through October, ask for availability)
US$ 620/ per person (classic option available all year round, ask for detailed schedule)
- A personal porter included to carry your 8kg / 16 pounds personal items.
The price is per person on personalized private and semiprivate service. Whether you want to take an exclusive private service, our service would increase in US$350 with two-person, US$300 with three-person, US$250 with four-person or more, these prices are applied to each person. We need a minimum of two people to run the tour. We guarantee that your tour will be limited to a maximum of 8 people.
The Best Fare For The Best Trip
We don’t believe any other tour companies make comparable trips when you take into account our unique itineraries and signature itineraries, impressive locations, small groups and quality Trek Leaders / Tour Leaders. But, should you come across a similar itinerary or matching itinerary of our quality at a cheaper price, even within 45 days after booking with us, we will happily refund the difference. It’s how we deliver our promise.
You Book, You Go…Don’t Worry… We Won’t Cancel
While other tour companies generally cancel their trips due to low participation of travelers or pass their travelers to other big groups tour operators, we guarantee that we will never cancel a trip because of low signing-up or participation for the departure date neither get our travelers to other tour operators! This makes to our travelers the assurance and peace of mind to know their travel plans are insured and guaranteed.
Request a Quote: We can customize this private trek just for you. Any detail can be tailored – activities, length, hotels and other destinations. Call us at +51 984 464 391 or request a quote, Here.
- NO, the Choquequirao trek is not regulated yet by the peruvian goverment; however, the entrance fee for the Choquequirao inca city is charged at the main checkpoint before to get into the incan city (the entrance fee is included); thus you could book in one month in advance that way to organize the tour.
Day 1, Cusco – Capuliyoc – Playa Rosalina
Pick up from hotel at 5:00 am to have 4-hour driving to Capuliyuc 2,900m / 9,512 ft, the beginning of the trail. At this place we’ll meet up our muleteers, and horses, where we’ll get ready for the trek.
We’ll start with our expedition, hiking for about 3 hours on a downhill trail to get the lunch spot called Chikiska located at 1,900 m / 6,213 ft, with stunning views of the snowcapped mountains of the Vilcabamba range, and the great Apurimac canyon. At Chikiska, we’ll enjoy our just prepared fresh lunch. After having lunch, we’ll hike for 1 more hour to get the first camp site called La Playa Rosalina 1,500m / 4,920 ft, in which we’ll spend the first night. In the evening we have tea time, subsequently dinner. All meals included, except breakfast.
- Hiking time: 6 hours aprox…
- Hiking distance: 8 km/ 4.9 miles.
- Highest point: 2,900m / 9,512 ft
- Lowest point: 1,500m / 4,920 ft
- Highlights: Dramatic views of the Vilcabamba range with snowcapped mountains, and the Apurimac canyon.
Day 2, Playa Rosalina – Maranpata – Choquequuirao (Afternoon Exploration)
Very early in the morning, we’ll wake up with a nice coca tea, and we’ll have a nutritious breakfast, after that, we’ll ascend for about 5 hours on the steep switchback trail to get the town called Maranpata, where we will have our lunch. From this lunch spot, we’ll see a part of mystical Choquequirao in a further direction. After having lunch, we’ll walk for 2 more hours to get the second campsite, located in the park of Choquequirao 2,950 m / 9,676 ft. This afternoon, we’ll go to explore a part of Choquequirao’s religious site, where we’ll savor an amazing sunset, we’ll then come back to our campsite. All meals included.
- Hiking time: 8 hours aprox…
- Hiking distance: 14 km / 8.7 miles.
- Highest point: 2,950 m / 9,676 ft
- Lowest point: 1,500m / 4,920 ft
- Highlights: First views of Choquequirao archaeological site and amazing sunset at this place, more views of the great Apurimac canyon.
Day 3, Choquequirao (Morning Exploration) – Ex-hacienda San Ignacio
A great breakfast will make us ready for another great day, today, we’ll go back to explore the other parts (neighborhoods) of Choquequirao and the terraces with llamas for about 2 hours. After that, we’ll start hiking downhill for about 3 hours on a steep switchback trail to reach the Apurimac River again, this section of the trail is less hiked and explored as the other hikers take the same trail to go back to the beginning of the trail. On this section of the trail, we’ll savor dramatic views of the great Apurimac canyon from different angles. Upon our arrival to the river and playa San Ignacio 1,450 m / 4,756 ft, we’ll take a deserved break, and enjoy our lunch. As of this place, we’ll start hiking up for about 45 minutes to reach the next campsite located at ex-hacienda San Ignacio 1,820 m / 5,970 ft. This afternoon, at ex-hacienda San Ignacio, we’ll have a chance to explore the local orchard where we’ll learn about the Coca plant, Cocoa plant, Avocado tree, and other fruits. All meals included.
- Hiking time: 7 – 8 hours aprox…
- Hiking distance: 12 km / 7.46 miles.
- Highest point: 2,950 m / 9,676 ft
- Lowest point: 1,450 m / 4,756 ft
- Highlights: More exploration of Choquequirao, Coca plants, Cocoa plants, and other local fruits.
Day 4, Ex-hacienda San Ignacio – Tambobamba – Saywite – Cusco
It’s our last hiking day, after enjoying a nutritious breakfast, we’ll continue trekking up the highland valley with some trees along the trail and amazing views, this final section of the trail is a gentle trail for 3 hours to reach Tambobamba 2,320 m / 7,610 ft, a place where we’ll end our adventure. Once we arrive at this place, we’ll have a farewell time to our muleteers, cook and other members who were part of our team for 5 days. After that, we’ll take our private transport back to Cusco for about 5 hours with some stop offs on the way, one them is a stop at Saywite a unique place to see a great Incan monolith called the monolith of Saywite is a symbolic representation of our cosmos, where the Incas used a living granite rock to carve over 208 figures like geometric and zoomorphic figures, including reptiles, frogs, felines, irrigation channels, etc. The site is regarded as a center of religious worship for Incan people, focusing on water. It’s a big granite boulder whose circumference is about 11 m / 36.08 ft, 4 m / 13.12 ft of diameter, and about 2 m / 6.56 ft high. After learning about this site, we’ll take our picnic lunch close by to this site. We’ll then drive back to Cusco for about 3 hours. All meals included, except dinner. End of the adventure.
- Hiking time: 3 – 3.5 hours aprox…
- Hiking distance: 8 km / 5 miles.
- Highest point: 2,320 m / 7,610 ft ft
- Lowest point: 1,820 m / 5,970
- Highlights: The Incan monolith of Saywite.
Note on Itinerary
Although we do our very best possible to adhere to the schedule above, this itinerary is subject to change for several reasons beyond our control, including strikes, weather, natural disasters, and terrain conditions. On some occasions, these conditions may demand us to deviate from our original schedule, in which case we will provide the best available alternative options. And we’ll make a great experience of it!
Weather in Choquequirao Trek 4 Days
Average daytime temperatures in and around Cusco generally range from 55º – 75º F with evenings cooling down into the 40º and 50º. Much of this itinerary takes place in the mountains, where weather can change very quickly and evening temperatures regularly drop into the 30º and 40º. As our treks are planned during the “dry season”, days are typically clear and pleasant, with afternoon clouds occasionally building and leading to small amounts of rainfall, and morning temperatures usually range from 35º and 45º with some frost on the tents, and frosty plains in some locations. While April and November departures may experience slightly higher amounts of rainfall, all-day rain is unusual. We will be hiking over multiple mountain passes which are over 14,104 ft, so should you be prepared for unpredictable mountain weather.
Inclusion for Choquequirao Trek 4 Days
- Private transport from hotel to Capuliyoc.
- Private transport back to hotel from Capuliyoc at the end of our journey.
- Entrance ticket to Choquequirao.
- Entrance ticket to Saywite.
- Camping Equipment 4 season tent(04 people tent for 02 people)
- Air mattresses (Therma-Rest), and Pillow.
- Other camping equipment, a dining tent with table and chairs, and a kitchen tent, manned by a professional cooking staff.
- Trek Leader, Our leaders are equipped and trained to practice First-Aid, administer oxygen if needed, and conduct radio communication.
- Meals: Breakfast (4), lunch (4), dinner (3), and snacks.
- A professional Quechua chef.
- Horses, and muleteers; horses carry your 8-kg / 16-pound personal items.
- Oxygen Tank.
- Emergency Horse to escort us during the trek.
Exclusion For Choquequirao Trek 4 days
- Sleeping bags, you might get them rented from US$5 per day.
- Hiking poles, you might get them rented from us a pair of poles, Black Diamond or lei brand, US$ 5 per day.
- Extra expenditure during the trek, such as: soda, alcoholic drinks, extra snacks.
- Tipping for Leaders, porters or muleteers, and other staff.
- Travel Insurance and things of a personal nature – laundry and telephone calls, personal taxis, souvenirs, etc.
- Travel and health insurance (bring copies with you please), we highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation, interruption; an insurance to protect your travel investment, Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance. Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc. it should be covered by the passenger as a whole. Also, if you for physical reasons of health cannot continue the trek or walk, and will need emergency evacuation then all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc. will be at passenger’s expense.
Suggested Reading List
We have created a custom comprehensive listing of Choquequirao and Peru travel books for this trip.
Trek Gear List / Trip Checklist
- Original passport and Student ISIC card (if applicable), and some copies.
- Travel insurance (and some copies).
- Sleeping bag (or you can rent one from us).
- Backpack to carry your things.
- Phone and Camera charger and adapter.
- Torch or headlamps.
- Ear Plugs.
- Deet or mosquito repellent ( recommendable 30% deet).
- Hiking poles ( or you can rent one pair from us).
- Rain gear (especially if traveling in the wet season, from October to March).
- Comfortable hiking clothes, including warm clothes for the nighttime.
- Good hiking boots with protector ankle or similar, and one pair of flip-flops or light sandals.
- Sunblock and sunglasses.
- Hiking long sleeve T-shirts.
- Hiking trousers.
- Thermal underwear.
- Hiking socks.
- Water bottle or canteen.
- American dollars and peruvian soles in cash.
- Sun hat, cap, and warm hat and gloves for the nighttime.
- Toilet paper, and face tissue paper.
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen).
- Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may take).