Colca Canyon Trek
Colca Canyon Trek. Witness southern city – Arequipa, the second largest in Peru, might be the most handsome in the country. Founded in 1540, it retains an elegant historic center constructed almost entirely of sillar (a porous, white volcanic stone), which gives the city its distinctive look and the nickname la ciudad blanca, or “the white city.” Colonial churches, mansions, a splendid Plaza de Armas, and the sumptuous 16th-century Santa Catalina convent gleam beneath palm trees and a brilliant sun. Ringing the city, in full view, are three delightfully named volcanic peaks: El Misti, Chachani, and Pichu Pichu, all of which hover around 6,000m (20,000 ft.). And the city’s small Museo Santuarios Andinos holds an astounding local discovery: a perfectly preserved Inca teenage maiden sacrificed more than 500 years ago.
Hike the Colca Canyon the deepest in the world twice as deep as the Grand Canyon and the best place in South America to see and spot giant condors soar overhead. Suiting its reputation as only one owner of the sky.
GROUP SIZE: ( minimum 02 people) price is per person and based on two people. The itinerary is described and based on personalized service.
Service Level: Standar
Physical Grading: 1 2 3 4 5 6
MODERATE TO STRENUOUS: Full-day hikes (5-7 hours), mountainous terrain, significant elevation gains and losses (hiking up or down as much as 3,000 feet) on many hikes. Altitudes no greater than about 13,000 feet.
IMPORTANT NOTE: While we expect the tour will run as the itinerary describes. Participants should accept that there is the possibility of changes, being necessary liable to local conditions, e.g, strikes, natural desasters, these changes might be at the discretion of your travel company.
PRICE: From US$ 820/ 5 days
The price is based on three-person. Whether you would like to take a private service, our service would increase in US$ 300 with two-person, US$ 250 with three-person, US$ 200 with four-person or more, these prices are applied to each person.
We need a minimum of three people to run the tour. We guarantee that your tour will be limited to a maximum of 8 people. To ensure a private tour with us, our price increases US$ 300 with two-person, US$ 250 with three-person, US$ 200 with four-person or more, these prices are applied to each person.
ACCLIMATIZATION: Please allow a minimum of 2 days in Arequipa before your hike begins to Colca Canyon Trek.
DAY 1, CITY TOUR
We pick you up from your hotel to start the tour then we drive to the viewpoint of Carmen Alto, from this place we have great views of the mountains that surround the city of Arequipa, as well as we see the pre-incan terraces, at this point you have a rich history recounted by our tour guide. Consequently we drive to get the Yanahuara district to enjoy the arcades of the Yanahuara which was built on fine ashlars, and we also see the church of San Juan Bautista. Later on we visit the great monastery of Santa Catalina, that is a large building founded in 1579 where we see a great collection of canvas, sculpture, etc. Then our guide leads us to the Basilica of Arequipa, a building with neoclassical architectural style and it is located next to the main square, next we go to see the church of Compañía de Jesus and the dome of San Ignacio, eventually we come back to the hotel.
DAY 2, OUTSIDES OF AREQUIPA
We pick you up from your hotel, right away to drive to Cayma district where we visit the viewpoint of Carmen Alto from this place we see the beautiful valley of Arequipa, the Chili river, and the three volcanoes that surround the city. Immediately we drive to the Yanahuara district to visit the Mirador of Yanahuara which was built on fine ashlars and baroque style as its church that is located right beside. Following our sightseeing we go through the Fierro bridge (which was designed by Gustavo Eiffel), to get the viewpoint of Sachaca that is the highest viewpoint around Arequipa city, from this place we see the arequipenian countryside. Next we visit a nice building called the Mansion of the Founder, where the son of Arequipa’s founder lived, it was taken once by the chilian army as headquarters during the pacific war. After that we drive to the town of Sabandia where we see the colonial hydraulic-wheel that was used to grind the grains, seeds, beans. Keep driving we arrive to Paucarpata district, just close by group of pre-incan terraces are located. Eventually we drive back to hotel in Arequipa.
DAY 3, AREQUIPA – SAN MIGUEL – SAN JUAN DE CHUCCHO
We go to your hotel to pick you up at 3:30 am, we leave the city, and we drive to Chivay, where we have breakfast, after that we continue driving to the Cruz del Condor; in which, we see the condors that are soaring around, and the deepest canyon of the World, then we drive for about 20 minutes until San Miguel, at this point we start the trek with a stunning view of the Colca canyon, we walk gradually down for about 4 hours to get the San Juan de Chucchu town (2,200m / 7,194feet), from this town we have a descent for 45 more minutes to get the bank of the Colca river, where we spend the first night at the nice hostal. We have dinner at 7:00 pm at the hostal.
DAY 4, SAN JUAN DE CHUCCHU – OASIS
We have breakfast at 7:00 am, right away we start the hike to the Cosñirhua and Malata towns, along the pathway we see native flora and fauna, and we see the local native fruits, medicinal plants, local people who still speak in Quechua (inca language), and we visit the local museum to learn more about the culture and traditions of this place; after having a little break we start to walk down to get the canyon level, and the Sangalle (Oasis) that is located at an altitude of 1,160m / 3,793feet, this is a place of tropical weather; therefore, you see palm trees, and the other tropical trees. We have lunch, in the afternoon we plunge into the water pools, and chill out. At this place we spend the second night in a nice hostal, where we have dinner at 7:00 pm.
DAY 5, OASIS – CABANACONDE – CHIVAY – AREQUIPA
We have breakfast very early in the morning that is orgnized by the hostal, then we will have a 3-hour ascent to Cabanaconde town, when we arrive to the town we will have a little break afterwards to continue hiking to the viewpoints of Antahuilque, Choquetico, and the local rural Maca town. After enjoying beautiful views, we will walk to Calera hot springs where the water is about 38ºC, this place is located 4-km away from Chivay town, we will enjoy the termal pools for 1-hour aprox. Later on we will come back to Chivay town where we will have lunch, eventually we will take our private transportation back to Arequipa; along the way we will stop for a couple of times to see alpaca, llama, vicuña, the volcanoes of Misti, and Chachani. We will be arriving to Arequipa at about 6:30pm.
PERU SUMMIT INCLUDES
- Transportation from Arequipa to the beggining of the trek.
- Transportation Chivay town to Arequipa at the end of our journey.
- Meals breakfast(3), lunch (3), dinner (2).
- Two nights of hostal on the trek.
- Entrance fee to Colca Canyon.
- Arequipa – Colca Canyon English guide, our guides are equipped and trained to practice First-Aid, administer oxygen if needed, and conduct radio communication.
- Private transportation for the day tours.
PERU SUMMIT DOES INCLUDE
- Extra expenditure during the trek, such as: soda, alcoholic drinks, extra snacks, tickets for the hot Springs.
- Entrance ticket to the tourist places ( during the city tour and outsides of Arequipa)
- Gratuities for the guides, and other staff(optional).
- Travel Insurance and things of a personal nature – laundry and telephone calls, personal taxis, souvenirs etc.
- Travel and health insurance (bring copies with you please), we highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation, interruption; an insurance to protect your travel investment, Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance. Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc. it should be covered by the passenger as a whole. Also, if you for physical reasons of health cannot continue the trek or walk, and will need emergency evacuation then all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc. will be at passenger’s expense.
- Passport and some copies (for the trek)
- Travel insurance (and some copies), (for the trek)
- Backpack to carry your things.
- Phone and Camera charger and adapter (for the trek).
- Ear Plugs
- Torch or headlamps (for the trek).
- Deet or mosquito repellent ( recommendable 30% deet) (for the trek).
- Hiking poles ( or you can rent one pair from us), (for the trek)
- Rain gear (especially if traveling in the wet season, from October to March).
- Comfortable hiking clothes (for the trek).
- Good hiking boots with protector ankle or similar, and one pair of flip-flops or light sandals (for the trek).
- Sunblock and sunglasses.
- Hiking long sleeve T-shirts (for the trek).
- Hiking trousers (for the trek).
- Hiking socks (for the trek).
- Water bottle or canteen.
- American dollars and peruvian soles in cash.
- Sun hat.
- Bathing suit (for the trek).
- Toilet paper, and face tissue paper.
- Pocketnife (for the trek).
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen), (for the trek).
- Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may take), (for the trek)
- PLEASE NOTE, It is not necessary to bring sleeping bag (for the trek).