Ausangate Trek 4 Days
Ausangate Trek 4 days–Feel the pulse of snow-clad mountains and the Rainbow Mountains on this 4-day hiking through one of Peru’s most timeless and wilderness regions.
An adventure trek designed for a smoother and leisurely hike in the remote place of Ausangate. This trek takes us truly off the beaten path, from the most iconic snow-capped mountains in the Vilcanota Range, and the Rainbow Mountains to the best trails of uncrowded Ausangate trail. You’ll hike through an exquisite setting of gleaming glacial lakes, coloured hills, herds of llamas and alpacas, waterfalls, and the dazzling peaks and glaciers of Ausangate (20,956ft). At the end of each exhilarating day, you’ll be welcomed at our unique camp sites in dramatic settings, each one featuring private roomy tents, dining tent, toilet tent and, delightful cuisine! Your ultimate reward is an exploration of ethereal Rainbow Mountains, an impressive natural formation colored hills–Ausangate trek 4 days.
Join us for the adventure of a lifetime – give us a call at +51 984 464 391 or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or book your spot today!
This trip is officially operated by Peru Summit, a 100% local tour operator based in Cusco.
- View ice-clad Ausangate, and the diverse ecosystems of the Cordillera Vilcanota.
- Trek in a high Andean realm close by to herd of llamas, and alpacas. Stay in a mountain 4 season roomy tents (Black Diamond tents).
- Travel & Trek with someone who hiked the Inca Trail for over 300 times, Salkantay Trek for over 200 times, Choquequirao Trek for over 150 times, Ausangate Trek for over 100 times, Lares Trek for over 50 times, being at Machu Picchu for over 600 times.
- Explore the unique natural formations on earth the Rainbow Mountains with a specialist guide.
- A trek designed for a smoother and leisurely experience in the remote place of Ausangate.
- Camp along remote mountainsides, where we can savor peaceful nights beneath a star-filled sky.
- Enjoy the comforts of our legendary Ausangate Trek 4 days camping services—the best on the trail!
- Fully supported trek by an emergency horse, horseman, and private trek leader.
- Your own private guide, muleteers, horses, delicious camp cuisine prepared by your personal cook.
- Small groups, Big adventures (min 2 – max 8 / average 4 people)
- Direct & official local tour operator based in Cusco, managed by locals.
Group Size: We need a minimum of 02 people to depart to Ausangate trek 4 days. Family groups, friend travelers, couple travelers or even if you’re a SOLO traveler, you are welcome to our adventure to Machu Picchu. Prices are per person which are based on two people who might share a room / tent. The itinerary is described and based on shared services; however, you are looking for a private service, that would be upon request.
The Smallest Groups en Route—Averaging Just 4 Travelers!
Could you imagine trying to hike silently along an isolated trail, carefully not disturbing shy wildlife, with 10 or 20 other travelers? Or walking on a remote area to explore the pristine wilderness with dozens of other tourists at your side? We know meaningful nature encounters must be undertaken in small groups. That’s why our trips come with an average of just four travelers, by far the smallest groups in the tourism industry across the country. This not only guarantees you more personal close-up wildlife experience, but a less-impact presence on the earth’s brittle natural places we love.
We Deliver on Our Promises
We are very confident the quality of our journeys will get your expectations and that you will savor the best possible of cultural travel experience, nature travel experience, and adventure travel experience if you are dissatisfied, we’ll happily give you credit for an extra trip or for a future journey. It’s, to our knowledge, the best guarantee in the travel business!
Service Level: Upgraded.
Physical Grading: 1 2 3 4 5 6
STRENUOUS, Full-day hikes (6-8 hours), mountainous, steep terrain (hiking up or down as much as 3,500 feet) on many hikes. Trips with hiking at average altitudes of 10,000 to 14,500 feet are in this category.
Activities: Hiking / Trekking, Camping
Accommodations: 4 season Black Diamond tents designed for 4 people which are used only for 2 people, come with sleeping pads “Therma-Rest”, and Pillows.
Important Note: While we expect the tour will run as the itinerary describes to Ausangate trek 4 days. Participants should accept that there is the possibility of changes, being necessary liable to local conditions, e.g, strikes, natural desasters, these changes might be at the discretion of your travel company.
Price: From US$ 580 / 4 Days / per person
- A personal porter included to carry your 8kg / 16 pounds personal items.
The price is based on two-person. Whether you would like to take a private service, our service would increase in US$350 with two-person, US$300 with three-person, US$250 with four-person or more, these prices are applied to each person. We need a minimum of two people to run the tour to Ausangate trek 4 days. We guarantee that your tour will be limited to a maximum of 8 people. To ensure a private tour with us, our price increases US$350 with two-person, US$300 with three-person, US$250 with four-person or more, these prices are applied to each person.
The Best Fare For The Best Trip
We don’t believe any other tour companies make comparable trips when you take into account our unique itineraries and signature itineraries, impressive locations, small groups and quality Trek Leaders / Tour Leaders. But, should you come across a similar itinerary or matching itinerary of our quality at a cheaper price, even within 45 days after booking with us, we will happily refund the difference. It’s how we deliver our promise.
You Book, You Go…Don’t Worry… We Won’t Cancel!
While other tour companies generally cancel their trips due to low participation of travelers or pass their travelers to other big groups tour operators, we guarantee that we will never cancel a trip because of low signing-up or participation for the departure date neither get our travelers to other tour operators! This makes to our travelers the assurance and peace of mind to know their travel plans are insured and guaranteed.
Request a Quote: We can customize this private trek just for you. Any detail can be tailored – activities, length, hotels and other destinations. Call us at +51 984 464 391 or request a quote, Here.
Day 1. Cusco – Upis Village – Upis Hot Springs.
Our trek begins at hotel at 5:00 am, we will then drive for 3 hours to get the Upis town (12,464ft), where we will meet up our muleteers and get ready our rucksacks to start the great adventure. We will hike up through the highland valley inhabited by herds of llamas and alpacas. Upon our arrival to Upis hot springs (13,776ft) we will enjoy our first just made lunch, and we will camp at this place, in the afternoon you will have a chance to plunge into the thermal pools whose cost is 10 PEN, or just walking around trying to shoot the best sunset on the summit of Ausangate. All meals included.
Hiking Time: 5 hours aprox…
Hiking Distance: 10 km / 6.21 miles
Day 2. Upis Hot Springs – Puka Qocha
A great hot coca tea wakes us up this morning, after having a nutritious breakfast we will start hiking up on a winding path to get the first pass Arapa (15,744 ft), We will then continue hiking downhill to get our lunch spot located at an impressive spot, right next to the glacial lake of Yana Qocha with backdrops of stunning snow-clad of Ausangate mountain.
After lunch, our trek continues through the highland plain to the second camp site of Puka Qocha (15,088) located just close by to the Ausangate Mountain and glacier lakes whre the ice body is crashing into the lakes. At night the sky will treat us with clear view to shoot amazing Milky Way photos. All meals included.
Hiking Time: 7-8 hours
Hiking Distance: 11 km / 6.83 miles
Day 3. Puka Qocha – Auqui
A nutritious breakfast makes us ready for today, we will start hiking up on steep switchback trail to reach the second pass located at an altitude of 16,400 ft, from this point we will start to see snow-capped mountains going in different directions and highland red valleys with red hills. Our hike continues on a hill down to the valley part, then to hike up to reach our third camp site (15,088 ft), set in a highland valley with amazing views around. Upon our arrival we will enjoy our lunch, free afternoon to chill in our tents. It’s time to give our legs a well-deserved rest today!. All meals Included.
Hiking Time: 4-5 hours
Hiking Distance: 7 km / 4.35 miles
Day 4. Auqui – Rainbow Mountains – Cusco
A great day awaits us as we hike one of the most beautiful trails in the Cusco region! from our camp site we will hike up the valley and we will start to see some coloured hills like rainbow, but it’s not the famous Rainbow Mountains yet. After 1 hour and 30 minutes hiking we will have gotten the next pass at 15,088 ft from where we will spot the Rainbow Mountains in a distance, not close yet, we will then keep hiking downhill to reach the uneven plain inhabited by local rescindents the llamas and alpacas, on we will hiking up to the ultimate destination the Rainbow Mountains. Upon our arrival we will take enough time to savor this unique place, after that, we will walk down the valley to reach our next lunch spot, next, we will say good bye to our muleteers, cooks, and we will eventually drive back to your hotel in Cusco.
Hiking time: 5-6 hours
Hiking distance: 10 km / 6.21 miles
Note on Itinerary
Although we do our very best possible to adhere to the schedule above, this itinerary is subject to change for several reasons beyond our control, including strikes, weather, natural disasters, and terrain conditions. On some occasions, these conditions may demand us to deviate from our original schedule, in which case we will provide the best available alternative options. And we’ll make a great experience of it!
Average daytime temperatures in and around Cusco generally range from 55º – 75º F with evenings cooling down into the 40º and 50º. Much of this itinerary takes place in the mountains, where weather can change very quickly and evening temperatures regularly drop into the 30º and 40º. As our treks are planned during the “dry season”, days are typically clear and pleasant, with afternoon clouds occasionally building and leading to small amounts of rainfall, and morning temperatures usually range from 35º and 45º with some frost on the tents, and frosty plains in some locations. While April and November departures may experience slightly higher amounts of rainfall, all-day rain is unusual. We will be hiking over multiple mountain passes which are over 14,104 ft, so should you be prepared for unpredictable mountain weather.
Peru Summit Includes
- Private transport from hotel to Upis.
- Private transport back to hotel from Qesuyunoc town at the end of our journey.
- Camping Equipment 4 season tent in Black Diamond or North Face Summit Series brand (04 people tent for 02 people)
- Other camping equipment, a dining tent with table and chairs, and a kitchen tent, manned by a professional cooking staff.
- Air sleeping pads (therma-rest) come with pillows.
- Entrance tickets to the park.
- Trek Leader, Our Leaders are equipped and trained to practice First-Aid, administer oxygen if needed, and conduct radio communication.
- Meals: Breakfast (4), lunch (4), dinner (3), and snacks.
- A professional Quechua chef.
- Horses, and muleteers; horses carry your 8-kg / 16-pound personal items.
- Emergency Horse to escort us during the trek.
- Oxygen tank.
Peru Summit Does Not Include
- Sleeping bags, you might get them rented from us US$5 per day.
- Hiking poles, you might get them rented from us a pair of poles, Black Diamond or leki brand
- Extra expenditure during the trek, such as: soda, alcoholic drinks, extra snacks, tickets for the hot Springs.
- Tipping for the trek leader, porters or muleteers, and other staff.
- Travel Insurance and things of a personal nature – laundry and telephone calls, personal taxis, souvenirs etc.
- Travel and health insurance (bring copies with you please), we highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation, interruption; an insurance to protect your travel investment, Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance. Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc. it should be covered by the passenger as a whole. Also, if you for physical reasons of health cannot continue the trek or walk, and will need emergency evacuation then all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc. will be at passenger’s expense.
Suggested Reading List
We have created a custom comprehensive listing of Ausangate and Peru travel books for this trip.
Trek Gear List – Trip Checklist
- Travel insurance (and some copies).
- Sleeping bag (or you can rent one from us).
- Backpack to carry your things.
- Phone and Camera charger and adapter.
- Torch or headlamps.
- Deet or mosquito repellent ( recommendable 30% deet).
- Hiking poles ( or you can rent one pair from us).
- Rain gear (especially if traveling in the wet season, from October to March).
- Comfortable hiking clothes, including warm clothes for the nighttime.
- Good hiking boots with protector ankle or similar, and one pair of flip-flops or light sandals.
- Sunblock and sunglasses.
- Hiking long sleeve T-shirts.
- Hiking trousers.
- Thermal underwear.
- Sleeping bag liner.
- Hiking socks.
- Ear Plugs.
- Water bottle or canteen.
- American dollars and peruvian soles in cash.
- Sun hat, cap, and warm hat and gloves for the nighttime.
- Toilet paper, and face tissue paper.
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen). Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may