Choquequirao Trek 5 days
Choquequirao Trek 5 days, An Absolute Experience With Locals!
Choquequirao Trek 5 days–Larger than Machu Picchu and far less known, Choquequirao still makes you feel as though you’re practically the first to arrive. Dare yourself in hiking this stunning trail to the mountaintop sacred city of Choquequirao touching the bottom of one of the deepest canyons in the world which is Apurimac canyon where you have a high chance to spot some condors.
Surrounded by dramatic vistas and endless roads on which to take it all in. Most of Choquequirao’s highland mountains are not accessible yet, so it still feels wild and remote, and it’s perfect for everyone who wants to experience a real adventure, visiting the twin city of Machupicchu, being part and witnessing the mountain beauty of the Andes range, and exploring Choquequirao away from the crowds.
When hiking with us you can mingle with locals, sit down at our home to listen to the stories, legends of Choquequirao from our parents, savor the jaw-dropping mountains in Vilcabamba range, the deep Apurimac Canyon, dropping anchor the tents in a new spot every night with amazing vistas in every direction and discovering all the Andean life, culture, and traditions. Enhance your adventure to this unique place with locals from the zone
Make your way to Choquequirao starting at Capuliyoc a place where everyone starts and end your adventure at a different point where just fewer hikers finish or sometimes nobody even finishes at this place as they usually go back, by the same trail to finish at Capuliyoc the beginning of the trail. Making this trail this way, you will hike the complete loop of this amazing trail.
Choquequirao Inca city was one of the last residences of the last Incan ruler where these Andean people built dwelts, palaces, temples, and terraces, and this amazing journey will get you uncover the mysteries of this lost Incan city. Likewise, Choquequirao trek 5 days offers a variety on flora and fauna, thus along the trail you’ll experience different microclimates and ecosystems.
Join us for the adventure of a lifetime – give us a call at +51 984 464 391 or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or book your spot today!
This trip is officially operated by Peru Summit Adventures, a 100% local tour operator based in Cusco.
Peru Summit Adventures™ Advantages for Choquequirao Trek 5 days:
Since 2014 and since the very first day of our operation, Peru Summit has been blazing new trails, new ways of experiencing in Choquequirao Trek 5 days. Our trailblazing is just one reason we are a uniquely qualified local company to ensure you have a trip of a lifetime.
- Trek to lost Incan citadel with a tour operator run by families from this zone, that’s a real PLUS for a genuine experience.
- Sit down at our home along with our family and listen to unique stories from them.
- When you hike with us, you support local people from this zone and help make their world a little bit better.
- Make a positive impact on this place by going with a “Green Engage” tour operator, We do know how to care our mother earth.
- Hike and follow this trail on a complete LOOP, starting at a different point and ending at another different point.
- Trek in a high Andean realm. Stay in a mountain 4 season roomy tents (Black Diamond tents).
- Your own private guide, muleteers, horses, delicious camp cuisine prepared by your personal cook.
- Camp along remote mountainsides, where we can savor peaceful nights beneath a star-filled sky.
- Soak in views of snow-capped Andean peaks and awe-inspiring ruins sites.
- Challenging trek to a hidden Incan city that sees few visitors.
- Small groups, Big Adventures (min 2 – max 8 / average 4)
- Learn about the Coca plant, Cocoa plant, and other local fruits
- Direct & official local tour operator with headquarter in Cusco, accredited by the Peruvian Ministry of Tourism.
Group Size: We need a minimum of 02 people to depart. Family groups, friend travelers, couple travelers or even if you’re a SOLO traveler, you are welcome to our adventure Choquequirao Trek 5 days. Prices are per person which are based on two people who might share a room/tent. The itinerary is described and based on small group service; however, you are looking for a private service, that would be upon request.
The Smallest Groups en Route—Averaging Just 4 Travelers!
Could you imagine trying to hike silently along an isolated trail, carefully not disturbing shy wildlife, with 10 or 20 other travelers? Or walking on a remote area to explore the pristine wilderness with dozens of other tourists at your side? We know meaningful nature encounters must be undertaken in small groups. That’s why our trips come with an average of just four travelers, by far the smallest groups in the tourism industry across the country. This not only guarantees you more personal close-up wildlife experience, but a less-impact presence on the earth’s brittle natural places we love.
We Deliver on Our Promises
We are very confident the quality of our journeys will get your expectations and that you will savor the best possible of cultural travel experience, nature travel experience, and adventure travel experience if you are dissatisfied, we’ll happily give you credit for an extra trip or for a future journey. It’s, to our knowledge, the best guarantee in the travel business.
Think Green, Think Global for a Better Place for Everyone
Traveling with us you are making a big difference in favor of the environment, our trips are rated as eco-friendly trips to ensure that fragile ecosystems are protected and maintained for future human generations, also maintain ecosystem and environment integrity through considering a sustainable and ethical business model. Making genuine and sustainable itineraries often translates to real costs, with a host of responsible travel practices that underpin our prices.
Service Level: Upgraded
Physical Grading: 1 2 3 4 5 6
STRENUOUS: Full-day hikes (6-8 hours), mountainous, steep terrain (hiking up or down as much as 3,500 ft) on many hikes. Trips with hiking at average altitudes of 10,000 to 14,500 ft are in this category.
Activities: Hiking / Trekking, Cultural Adventures.
Accommodations: 4 season Black Diamond tents designed for 4 people which are used only for 2 people, come with sleeping pads “Therma-Rest”, and Pillows.
Important Note: While we expect the tour will run as the itinerary describes. Participants should accept that there is the possibility of changes, being necessary liable to local conditions, e.g, strikes, natural disasters, these changes might be at the discretion of your travel company.
US$ 750/ per person (loop option available May through October, ask for availability)
US$ 690/ per person (classic option available all year round, ask for a detailed itinerary)
- A personal porter included to carry your 8kg / 16 pounds personal items.
The price is per person on personalized private and semiprivate service. Whether you want to take an exclusive private service, our service would increase in US$350 with two-person, US$300 with three-person, US$250 with four-person or more, these prices are applied to each person. We need a minimum of two people to run the tour. We guarantee that your tour will be limited to a maximum of 8 people.
Request a Quote: We can customize this private trek just for you. Any detail can be tailored – activities, length, hotels and other destinations. Call us at +51 984 464 391 or request a quote, Here.
The Best Fare For The Best Trip
We don’t believe any other tour companies make comparable trips when you take into account our unique itineraries and signature itineraries, impressive locations, small groups and quality Trek Leaders / Tour Leaders. But, should you come across a similar itinerary or matching itinerary of our quality at a cheaper price, even within 45 days after booking with us, we will happily refund the difference. It’s how we deliver our promise.
You Book, You Go…Don’t Worry… We Won’t Cancel!
While other tour companies generally cancel their trips due to low participation of travelers or outsource their travelers to other big groups tour operators, we guarantee that we will never cancel a trip because of low signing-up or participation for the departure date neither outsource our travelers to other tour operators! This makes to our travelers the assurance and peace of mind to know their travel plans are insured and guaranteed.
Limited Spaces: NO, the Choquequirao trek 5 days is not regulated yet by the Peruvian government; however, the entrance fee for the Choquequirao Inca city is charged at the main checkpoint before to get into the Incan city (the entrance fee is included); thus you could book in one month in advance that way to organize the tour.
Day 1, Cusco – Capuliyoc – Playa Rosalina
Pick up from the hotel at 5:00 am to have 4-hour driving to Capuliyuc 2,900m / 9,512 ft, the beginning of the trail. At this place, we’ll meet up our muleteers, and horses, where we’ll get ready for the trek.
We’ll start with our expedition, hiking for about 3 hours on a downhill trail to get the lunch spot called Chikiska located at 1,900 m / 6,213 ft, with stunning views of the snowcapped mountains of the Vilcabamba range, and the great Apurimac canyon. At Chikiska, we’ll enjoy our just prepared fresh lunch. After having lunch, we’ll hike for 1 more hour to get the first camp site called La Playa Rosalina 1,500m / 4,920 ft, in which we’ll spend the first night. In the evening we have tea time, subsequently dinner. All meals included, except breakfast.
Hiking time: 6 hours approx…
Hiking distance: 8 km/ 4.9 miles.
Highest point: 2,900m / 9,512 ft
Lowest point: 1,500m / 4,920 ft
Highlights: Dramatic views of the Vilcabamba range with snowcapped mountains, the Apurimac canyon, and stay at our home.
Day 2, Playa Rosalina – Maranpata – Choquequirao Park Camp
Very early in the morning we’ll wake up with a nice coca tea, and a nutritious breakfast will make us ready for the tough day, right after having our breakfast, we’ll ascend for about 5 hours on a switchback trail to get the town called Maranpata, a place where we’ll have our lunch. Upon our arrival at this lunch spot, we’ll have the first views of Choquequirao in a further direction. In the afternoon after eating lunch we’ll walk for 2 more hours to get the second camp site Choquequirao 2,950 m / 9,676 ft, that is located into the park, where we’ll spend that afternoon enjoying the beautiful sunset atop the Andes mountains. In the evening we’ll have tea time, subsequently dinner. All meals included.
Hiking time: 8 hours approx…
Hiking distance: 14 km / 8.7 miles.
Highest point: 2,950 m / 9,676 ft
Lowest point: 1,500m / 4,920 ft
Highlights: First views of Choquequirao archaeological site, more views of the great Apurimac canyon.
Day 3, Exploration of Choquequirao Full day
Today is the day to learn about Choquequirao 3,100 m / 10,168 ft, because we’ll explore Choquequirao properly with our trek leader, in the morning after having a great breakfast, we’ll explore the religious sector, administrative sector, Usno (religious platform), the granaries, the terraces with llamas, and other buildings located close by to the religious center. After making a great exploration, we’ll go back to our campsite, where we’ll eat our lunch. Our next exploration in the afternoon, will be the lower sector of Choquequirao, where the agricultural terraces, water fountains are located and other temples. We’ll then come back to our campsite. In the evening we’ll enjoy our tea time and dinner. All meals included.
Highest point: 3,100 m / 10,168 ft
Lowest point: 2,950 m / 9,676 ft
Highlights: Exploration of Choquequirao with a private local expert.
Day 4, Choquequirao Park Camp – Ex-Hacienda San Ignacio
Today, a great breakfast will make us ready for another intense day, after having our breakfast we’ll start hiking downhill for about 3 hours on a steep switchback trail to reach the Apurimac River again, this section of the trail is less hiked and explored as the other hikers take the same trail to go back to the beginning of the trail. On this section of the trail, we’ll savor dramatic views of the great Apurimac canyon from different angles. Upon our arrival to the river and playa San Ignacio 1,450 m / 4,756 ft, we’ll take a deserved break, as of this place, we’ll start hiking up for about 45 minutes to reach the lunch spot and our campsite located at ex-hacienda San Ignacio 1,820 m / 5,970 ft, where we’ll enjoy our just prepared fresh lunch. This afternoon, at ex-hacienda San Ignacio, we’ll have a chance to explore the local orchard where we’ll learn about the Coca plant, Cocoa plant, Avocado tree, and other fruits. All meals included.
Hiking time: 5 – 6 hours approx…
Hiking distance: 9 km / 5.60 miles.
Highest point: 2,950 m / 9,676 ft
Lowest point: 1,450 m / 4,756 ft
Highlights: Coca plants, Cocoa plants, and other local fruits.
Day 5, Ex-Hacienda San Ignacio – Tambobamba – Saywite – Cusco
It’s our last hiking day, after enjoying a nutritious breakfast, we’ll continue trekking up the highland valley with some trees along the trail and amazing views, this final section of the trail is a gentle trail for 3 hours to reach Tambobamba 2,320 m / 7,610 ft, a place where we’ll end our adventure. Once we arrive at this place, we’ll have a farewell time to our muleteers, cook and other members who were part of our team for 5 days. After that, we’ll take our private transport back to Cusco for about 5 hours with some stop offs on the way, one them is a stop at Saywite a unique place to see a great Incan monolith called the monolith of Saywite is a symbolic representation of our cosmos, where the Incas used a living granite rock to carve over 208 figures like geometric and zoomorphic figures, including reptiles, frogs, felines, irrigation channels, etc. The site is regarded as a center of religious worship for Incan people, focusing on water. It’s a big granite boulder whose circumference is about 11 m / 36.08 ft, 4 m / 13.12 ft of diameter, and about 2 m / 6.56 ft high. After learning about this site, we’ll take our picnic lunch close by to this site. We’ll then drive back to Cusco for about 3 hours. All meals included, except dinner. End of the adventure.
Hiking time: 3 – 3.5 hours approx…
Hiking distance: 8 km / 5 miles.
Highest point: 2,320 m / 7,610 ft ft
Lowest point: 1,820 m / 5,970
Highlights: The Incan monolith of Saywite.
Note on Itinerary
Although we do our very best possible to adhere to the schedule above, this itinerary is subject to change for several reasons beyond our control, including strikes, weather, natural disasters, and terrain conditions. On some occasions, these conditions may demand us to deviate from our original schedule, in which case we will provide the best available alternative options. And we’ll make a great experience of it!
Average daytime temperatures in and around Cusco generally range from 55º – 75º F with evenings cooling down into the 40º and 50º. Much of this itinerary takes place in the mountains, where weather can change very quickly and evening temperatures regularly drop into the 30º and 40º. As our treks are planned during the “dry season”, days are typically clear and pleasant, with afternoon clouds occasionally building and leading to small amounts of rainfall, and morning temperatures usually range from 35º and 45º with some frost on the tents, and frosty plains in some locations. While April and November departures may experience slightly higher amounts of rainfall, all-day rain is unusual. We will be hiking over multiple mountain passes which are over 14,104 ft, so should you be prepared for unpredictable mountain weather.
Peru Summit Includes for Choquequirao Trek 5 days
- Private transportation from hotel to Capuliyoc.
- Private transportation back to hotel from Capuliyoc at the end of our journey.
- Entrance ticket to Choquequirao.
- Camping Equipment 4 season tents in Black Diamond or North Face Summit Series brand (04 people tent for 02 people)
- Air mattresses (Therma-Rest), and Pillow.
- Other camping equipment, a dining tent with table and chairs, and a kitchen tent, manned by a professional cooking staff.
- Trek Leaders, Our Leaders are equipped and trained to practice First-Aid, administer oxygen if needed, and conduct radio communication.
- Meals: Breakfast (4), lunch (5), dinner (4), and snacks, with option for vegetarians, gluten free, lactose free, etc.
- A professional Quechua chef.
- Horses, and muleteers; horses carry your 8-kg / 16-pound personal items.
- Oxygen Tank.
- Emergency horse to escort us during the trek.
Peru Summit Does Not Include for Choquequirao Trek 5 days
- Sleeping bags US$5 per day, and hiking poles US$5 per day( a pair of poles, Black Diamond or leki brand), you might get them rented from us.
- Extra expenditure during the trek, such as: soda, alcoholic drinks, extra snacks.
- Gratuities for the guides, porters or muleteers, and other staff.
- Travel Insurance and things of a personal nature – laundry and telephone calls, personal taxis, souvenirs, etc.
- Travel and health insurance (bring copies with you please), we highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation, interruption; an insurance to protect your travel investment, Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance. Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc. it should be covered by the passenger as a whole. Also, if you for physical reasons of health cannot continue the trek or walk, and will need emergency evacuation then all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc. will be at passenger’s expense.
Suggested Reading List
We have created a custom comprehensive listing of Choquequirao and Peru travel books for this trip.
Trek Gear List / Trip Checklist
- Original passport and Student ISIC card (if applicable), and some copies.
- Travel insurance (and some copies).
- Sleeping bag (or you can rent one from us).
- Backpack to carry your things.
- Phone and Camera charger and adapter.
- Torch or headlamps.
- Ear Plugs.
- Deet or mosquito repellent ( recommendable 30% deet).
- Hiking poles ( or you can rent one pair from us).
- Rain gear (especially if traveling in the wet season, from October to March).
- Comfortable hiking clothes, including warm clothes for the nighttime.
- Good hiking boots with protector ankle or similar, and one pair of flip-flops or light sandals.
- Sunblock and sunglasses.
- Hiking long sleeve T-shirts.
- Hiking trousers.
- Thermal underwear.
- Hiking socks.
- Water bottle or canteen.
- American dollars and Peruvian soles in cash.
- Sun hat, cap, and warm hat and gloves for the nighttime.
- Toilet paper, and face tissue paper.
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen).
- Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may take).