Choquequirao Trek–Larger than Machu Picchu and far less known, Choquequirao still makes you feel as though you’re practically the first to arrive. Be the hero hiking the stunning trek to the mountaintop sacred city of Choquequirao touching the bottom of one of the deepest canyons in the world which is Apurimac canyon where you have a high chance to spot some condors. Surrounded with dramatic vistas and endless roads on which to take it all in. Most of Choquequirao’s highland mountains are not accessible yet, so it still feels wild and remote, and it’s perfect for everyone who wants to experience a real adventure, visiting the twin city of Machupicchu, being part and witnessing the mountain beauty of the Andes range, and exploring Choquequirao away from the crowds.
Make your way to Choquequirao starting at Capuliyoc a place where everyone starts and end your adventure at a different point where just fewer hikers finish or sometimes nobody even finishes at this place as they usually go back, by the same trail to finish at Capuliyoc the beginning of the trail. Making this trail this way, you will hike the complete loop of this amazing trail.
Choquequirao Inca city was one of the last residences of the last Incan ruler where these Andean people built dwelts, palaces, temples, and terraces, and this amazing journey will get you uncover the mysteries of this lost Incan city. Likewise, Choquequirao trek offers a variety on flora and fauna, thus along the trail you’ll experience different microclimates and ecosystems.
Join us for the adventure of a lifetime – give us a call at +51 984 464 391 or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or book your spot today!
This trip is officially operated by Peru Summit, a 100% local tour operator based in Cusco.
- Trek to lost Incan city since the hands of local experts who born, lived, hiked here that’s a real PLUS for a genuine experience.
- Hike and follow this trail on a complete LOOP, starting at different point and ending at another different point.
- Trek in a high Andean realm. Stay in a mountain 4 season roomy tents (Black Diamond tents).
- Your own private guide, muleteers, horses, delicious camp cuisine prepared by your personal cook.
- Camp along remote mountainsides, where we can savor peaceful nights beneath a star-filled sky.
- Soak in views of snow-capped Andean peaks and awe-inspiring ruins sites.
- Challenging trek to a hidden Incan city that sees few visitors.
- Small groups, Big Adventures (min 2 – max 8 / average 4)
- Direct & official local tour operator based in Cusco, managed by locals.
Group Size: We need a minimum of 02 people to depart. Family groups, friend travelers, couple travelers or even if you’re a SOLO traveler, you are welcome to our adventure Choquequirao Trek. Prices are per person which are based on two people who might share a room / tent. The itinerary is described and based on shared services; however, you are looking for a private service, that would be upon request.
Service Level: Upgraded
Physical Grading: 1 2 3 4 5 6
STRENUOUS: Full-day hikes (6-8 hours), mountainous, steep terrain (hiking up or down as much as 3,500 feet) on many hikes. Trips with hiking at average altitudes of 10,000 to 14,500 feet are in this category.
Activities: Hiking / Trekking, Cultural Adventures.
Accommodations: 4 season Black Diamond tents designed for 4 people which are used only for 2 people, come with sleeping pads “Therma-Rest”, and Pillows.
Important Note: While we expect the tour will run as the itinerary describes. Participants should accept that there is the possibility of changes, being necessary liable to local conditions, e.g, strikes, natural desasters, these changes might be at the discretion of your travel company.
Price: From US$ 720/ 5 Days
The price is based on two-person. Whether you would like to take a private service, our service would increase in US$350 with two-person, US$300 with three-person, US$250 with four-person or more, these prices are applied to each person.
We need a minimum of two people to run the tour. We guarantee that your tour will be limited to a maximum of 8 people. To ensure a private tour with us, our price increases US$350 with two-person, US$300 with three-person, US$250 with four-person or more, these prices are applied to each person.
Request a Quote: We can customize this private trek just for you. Any element can be tailored – activities, length, hotels and other destinations. Call us at +51 984 464 391 or request a quote, Here.
Limited Spaces: NO, the Choquequirao trek is not regulated yet by the peruvian goverment; however, the entrance fee for the Choquequirao inca city is charged at the main checkpoint before to get into the incan city (the entrance fee is included); thus you could book in one month in advance that way to organize the tour.
Acclimatization: Please allow a minimum of 2 days in Cusco before your hike begins to Choquequirao Trek.
DAY 1, CUSCO – CAPULIYOC – PLAYA ROSALINA
Pick up from hotel at 5:00 am to have 4-hour driving to Capuliyuc (2,915m / 9,532feet) the beginning of the trail. At this place we’ll meet up our muleteers, and horses, where we’ll get ready for the trek.
We start with our expedition hiking for about 3 hours on the downhill trail to get the lunch spot called Chikiska located at 1,900m / 6,213 feet. After having lunch we walk 1 more hour to get the first camp site called La Playa ( 1,550m / 5069feet), in which we’ll spend the first night. In the evening we have tea time, subsequently dinner.
Hiking Time, 6 hours aprox…
Hiking Distance, 8 km/ 4.9 miles.
DAY 2, PLAYA ROSALINA – MARANPATA – CHOQUEQUIRAO
Very early in the morning we’ll wake up with a nice coca tea, and we’ll have breakfast, right after that we will ascend for about 5 hours on the switchback pathway to get the town called Maranpata, where we will have our lunch. From that lunch spot we will see the beauty of mystical Choquequirao in a further direction. In the afternoon after eating lunch we’ll walk for 2 more hours to get the second camp site Choquequirao (3,100m / 10,137feet) that is located into the park, where we’ll spend the afternoon enjoying the sunset. In the evening we will have tea time, subsequently dinner.
Hiking Time, 8 hours aprox…
Hiking Distance, 14 km / 8.7 miles.
DAY 3, EXPLORATION OF CHOQUEQUIRAO INCA CITY FULL DAY
This day is the day of rich history because we’ll explore Choquequirao properly, in the morning after having breakfast we will explore the lower sector of the city, in which we will see agricultural terraces, water fountains, and the other buildings, then about midday we will come back to the camp site to have lunch. In the afternnon we will explore the other inca constructions such as, the priest resedential house, the usno(a platform for main rituals), the main temples, the llamas of the sun, etc, we will be finishing to explore the whole Choquequirao at about 4:30 pm. We will camp at the same place, in the evening we will have tea time, subsequently dinner.
DAY 4, CHOQUEQUIRAO – COCAMASANA
In the morning after having breakfast, we will get ready to come back on the same pathway that we had walked the privious days to get Choquequirao; from this fourth day we will walk back to Capuliyoc the beginning of the trail, thus we will leave the place to walk downhill until reaching the Playa Rosalina, where we will take a little break, then to walk uphill to get Chiquiska where we will have lunch, in the afternoon we will keep hiking for about 2 hours to get the Cocamasana which is the fourth camp site, from this camp spot we wiil have amazing sceneries around. in the evening we will have tea time, subsequently dinner.
Hiking Time, 9 hours aprox…
Hiking Distance, 17 km / 10.5 miles.
DAY 5, COCAMASANA – CAPULIYOC – CUSCO
We will wake up very early in the morning to leave the last camp site, that way not to be hit by the sun heat, after a couple of hours walking uphill we will arrive to viewpoint of Capuliyoc from where we will have the last views of the side of majestic Choquequirao and the great canyon of Apurimac, At this place we’ll finish our adventure to Choquequirao trek, where we will say goodbye to our muleteers and horses. Eventually we’ll drive back to Cusco.
Hiking Time, 3 hours aprox…
Hiking Distance, 5 km / 3.1 miles.
NOTE ON ITINERARY
Although we do our very best to adhere to the schedule above, the itinerary is subject to change for numerous reasons beyond our control, including strikes, weather and terrain conditions.
Average daytime temperatures in and around Cusco generally range from 55° – 75° F with evenings cooling down into the 40s and 50s. Much of this itinerary takes place in the mountains where weather can change very quickly and evening temperatures regularly drop into the 40s and 60s. As our treks are planned during the “dry season”, days are typically clear and pleasant, with afternoon clouds occasionally building and leading to small amounts of precipitation. While April and November departures may experience slightly higher amounts of rainfall, all-day rain is unusual. We will be hiking over mountain passes which are above 10,400′ so guests should be prepared for unpredictable mountain weather.
PERU SUMMIT INCLUDES
- Private transportation from hotel to Capuliyoc.
- Private transportation back to hotel from Capuliyoc at the end of our journey.
- Camping Equipment 4 season tent(04 people tent for 02 people)
- Air mattresses (Therma-Rest), and Pillow.
- Other camping equipment, a dining tent with table and chairs, and a kitchen tent, manned by a professional cooking staff.
- Trek Leaders, Our Leaders are equipped and trained to practice First-Aid, administer oxygen if needed, and conduct radio communication.
- Meals: Breakfast (4), lunch (5), dinner (4), and snacks.
- A professional Quechua chef.
- Horses, and muleteers; horses carry your 7-kl / 14-pound personal items.
- Oxigen Tank.
- Emergency Horse to escort us during the trek.
PERU SUMMIT DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Sleeping bags US$5 per day, and hiking poles US$5 per day( a pair of poles, Black Diamond or leki brand), you might get them rented from us.
- Extra expenditure during the trek, such as: soda, alcoholic drinks, extra snacks.
- Gratuities for the guides, porters or muleteers, and other staff.
- Travel Insurance and things of a personal nature – laundry and telephone calls, personal taxis, souvenirs, etc.
- Travel and health insurance (bring copies with you please), we highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation, interruption; an insurance to protect your travel investment, Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance. Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc. it should be covered by the passenger as a whole. Also, if you for physical reasons of health cannot continue the trek or walk, and will need emergency evacuation then all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc. will be at passenger’s expense.
- Original passport and Student ISIC card (if applicable), and some copies.
- Travel insurance (and some copies).
- Sleeping bag (or you can rent one from us).
- Backpack to carry your things.
- Phone and Camera charger and adapter.
- Torch or headlamps.
- Ear Plugs.
- Deet or mosquito repellent ( recommendable 30% deet).
- Hiking poles ( or you can rent one pair from us).
- Rain gear (especially if traveling in the wet season, from October to March).
- Comfortable hiking clothes, including warm clothes for the nighttime.
- Good hiking boots with protector ankle or similar, and one pair of flip-flops or light sandals.
- Sunblock and sunglasses.
- Hiking long sleeve T-shirts.
- Hiking trousers.
- Thermal underwear.
- Hiking socks.
- Water bottle or canteen.
- American dollars and peruvian soles in cash.
- Sun hat, cap, and warm hat and gloves for the nighttime.
- Toilet paper, and face tissue paper.
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen).
- Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may take).