4 Day Choquequirao Trek Experience on a Loop Way!
4 day Choquequirao trek–Trace ancient footsteps with a local private Trek Leader on this 4-day hiking expedition to the incomparable Choquequirao lost Incan city.
Make your way to Choquequirao starting at Capuliyoc a place where everyone starts and end your adventure at a different point where just fewer hikers finish or sometimes nobody even finishes at this place as they usually go back by the same trail to finish at Capuliyoc the beginning of the trail. Making this trail this way, you will hike the complete loop of this amazing trail.
It has been more than 100 years since explorer Hiram Bingham first rediscovered the existence of Choquequirao, and over 150 years since the french explorer discovered, and the majesty of the citadel has not diminished since. As modern-day adventurers, we begin our trip with a 4-day trek to reach this hidden Inca citadel, and explore on a fully supported trek by a private Trek Leader, private muleteers, and private cook.
Our journey along the 4 day Choquequirao Trek begins from there. Climb through beautiful mountain valleys filled with wild orchids and rainbow-colored mosses. Camp each evening off with good conversation and deluxe camping accommodations. The journey along the trail comes to a close as we descend to the Cradle of Gold Incan citadel, Choquequirao larger than Machu Picchu and way less known by travelers, which makes you feel as the first in arriving and discovering. Experience the peace and solitude of these incomparable lost city of the Incas–Choquequirao trek 4 days. Join Us!
Join us for the adventure of a lifetime – give us a call at +51 984 464 391 or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or book your spot today!
This trip is officially operated by Peru Summit Adventures, a 100% local tour operator based in Cusco.
Think Green, Think Global for a Better Place for Everyone
Traveling with us you are making a big difference in favor of the environment, our trips are rated as eco-friendly trips to ensure that fragile ecosystems are protected and maintained for future human generations, also maintain ecosystem and environment integrity through considering a sustainable and ethical business model. Making genuine and sustainable itineraries often translates to real costs, with a host of responsible travel practices that underpin our prices.
UPGRADED COMFORT: Premium or Comfort trips are led by Peru Summit Adventures experts, an experienced crew at your side, or top trip leaders/guides, and tap into private local experts' resources to allow for in-depth exploration and special access to unique sites that only the local leaders/guides know. Itineraries are carefully crafted and fully planned, with plenty of free time to roam. Camping gears are high-end and accommodations are high-end or best available. Ground transportation and most meals (especially in hikes) and activities are included in the trip price.
STRENUOUS: Designed for experienced active travelers in excellent physical condition. Full-day hikes (6-9 hours), mountainous, steep terrain (hiking up or down as much as 3,500 ft) on many hikes. 4-day to 6-day trips with hiking at average altitudes of 10,000 to 14,500 ft are in this category with some exposed sections.
Hiking, Archaeology & Cultural Adventures
While we expect the tour will run as the itinerary describes to 4 Day Choquequirao Trek by Local Guides. Participants should accept that there is the possibility of changes, being necessary liable to local conditions, eg, strikes, natural disasters, these changes might be at the discretion of your travel company.
Pro 4 season Black Diamond tents/ North Face Summit Series tents designed for 4 people which are used only for 2 people, come with Pro sleeping pads “Therma-Rest”, and Pillows.
Min 2 ppl, Max 8 ppl
Minimum of 02 people is needed to depart. Family groups, couple travelers, friends, or even if you’re a SOLO traveler, you are welcome to our trips. Price is per person, which is based on two people who might share a room/tent. The itinerary is described and based on shared services as well as semi-private service; however, if you are looking for a private service, that would be upon request.
NO, the Choquequirao trek is not regulated yet by the peruvian goverment; however, the entrance fee for the Choquequirao inca city is charged at the main checkpoint before to get into the incan city (the entrance fee is included); thus you could book in one month in advance that way to organize the tour.
Please allow a minimum of 2 days in Cusco before your hike begins to Choquequirao Trek 4 days.
Why experience the 4 Day Choquequirao Trek by Local Guides
- Trek to lost Incan city–Choquequirao since the hands of local experts who born, lived, hiked here that’s a real PLUS for a genuine experience.
- Hike and follow this trail on a complete LOOP, starting at different point and ending at another different point.
- Experience this trek with World-Class and Top Notch Trek Leaders; and get your adventure to the next level.
- Taste our innovative cuisine made by our professional cook like “Peru Summit Quinoa Salad®”
- Trek in a high Andean realm. Stay in a mountain 4 season roomy tents (Black Diamond tents/ North Face Summit Series tents).
- Your own private guide, muleteers, horses, delicious camp cuisine prepared by your personal cook.
- Soak in views of snow-capped Andean peaks and awe-inspiring ruins sites.
- Challenging trek to a hidden Incan city that sees few visitors.
- Small groups, Big Adventures (min 2 – max 8 / average 4).
- Learn about the Coca plant, Cocoa plant, and other local fruits
- Choquequirao trek 4 days direct & official local tour operator with headquarter in Cusco, accredited by the Peruvian Ministry of Tourism.
Pick up from hotel at 5:00 am to have 4-hour driving to Capuliyuc 2,900m / 9,512 ft, the beginning of the trail. At this place we’ll meet up our muleteers, and horses, where we’ll get ready for the trek.
We’ll start with our expedition, hiking for about 3 hours on a downhill trail to get the lunch spot called Chikiska located at 1,900 m / 6,213 ft, with stunning views of the snowcapped mountains of the Vilcabamba range, and the great Apurimac canyon. At Chikiska, we’ll enjoy our just prepared fresh lunch. After having lunch, we’ll hike for 1 more hour to get the first camp site called La Playa Rosalina 1,500m / 4,920 ft, in which we’ll spend the first night. In the evening we have tea time, subsequently dinner. All meals included, except breakfast.
- Hiking time: 6 hours aprox…
- Hiking distance: 8 km/ 4.9 miles.
- Highest point: 2,900m / 9,512 ft
- Lowest point: 1,500m / 4,920 ft
- Highlights: Dramatic views of the Vilcabamba range with snowcapped mountains, and the Apurimac canyon.
Very early in the morning, we’ll wake up with a nice coca tea, and we’ll have a nutritious breakfast, after that, we’ll ascend for about 5 hours on the steep switchback trail to get the town called Maranpata, where we will have our lunch. From this lunch spot, we’ll see a part of mystical Choquequirao in a further direction. After having lunch, we’ll walk for 2 more hours to get the second campsite, located in the park of Choquequirao 2,950 m / 9,676 ft. This afternoon, we’ll go to explore a part of Choquequirao’s religious site, where we’ll savor an amazing sunset, we’ll then come back to our campsite. All meals included.
- Hiking time: 8 hours aprox…
- Hiking distance: 14 km / 8.7 miles.
- Highest point: 2,950 m / 9,676 ft
- Lowest point: 1,500m / 4,920 ft
- Highlights: First views of Choquequirao archaeological site and amazing sunset at this place, more views of the great Apurimac canyon.
A great breakfast will make us ready for another great day, today, we’ll go back to explore the other parts (neighborhoods) of Choquequirao and the terraces with llamas for about 2 hours. After that, we’ll start hiking downhill for about 3 hours on a steep switchback trail to reach the Apurimac River again, this section of the trail is less hiked and explored as the other hikers take the same trail to go back to the beginning of the trail. On this section of the trail, we’ll savor dramatic views of the great Apurimac canyon from different angles. Upon our arrival to the river and playa San Ignacio 1,450 m / 4,756 ft, we’ll take a deserved break, and enjoy our lunch. As of this place, we’ll start hiking up for about 45 minutes to reach the next campsite located at ex-hacienda San Ignacio 1,820 m / 5,970 ft. This afternoon, at ex-hacienda San Ignacio, we’ll have a chance to explore the local orchard where we’ll learn about the Coca plant, Cocoa plant, Avocado tree, and other fruits. All meals included.
- Hiking time: 7 – 8 hours aprox…
- Hiking distance: 12 km / 7.46 miles.
- Highest point: 2,950 m / 9,676 ft
- Lowest point: 1,450 m / 4,756 ft
- Highlights: More exploration of Choquequirao, Coca plants, Cocoa plants, and other local fruits.
It’s our last hiking day, after enjoying a nutritious breakfast, we’ll continue trekking up the highland valley with some trees along the trail and amazing views, this final section of the trail is a gentle trail for 3 hours to reach Tambobamba 2,320 m / 7,610 ft, a place where we’ll end our adventure. Once we arrive at this place, we’ll have a farewell time to our muleteers, cook and other members who were part of our team for 5 days. After that, we’ll take our private transport back to Cusco for about 5 hours with some stop offs on the way, one them is a stop at Saywite a unique place to see a great Incan monolith called the monolith of Saywite is a symbolic representation of our cosmos, where the Incas used a living granite rock to carve over 208 figures like geometric and zoomorphic figures, including reptiles, frogs, felines, irrigation channels, etc. The site is regarded as a center of religious worship for Incan people, focusing on water. It’s a big granite boulder whose circumference is about 11 m / 36.08 ft, 4 m / 13.12 ft of diameter, and about 2 m / 6.56 ft high. After learning about this site, we’ll take our picnic lunch close by to this site. We’ll then drive back to Cusco for about 3 hours. All meals included, except dinner. End of the adventure.
- Hiking time: 3 – 3.5 hours aprox…
- Hiking distance: 8 km / 5 miles.
- Highest point: 2,320 m / 7,610 ft ft
- Lowest point: 1,820 m / 5,970
- Highlights: The Incan monolith of Saywite.
Note on Itinerary
Although we do our very best possible to adhere to the schedule above, this itinerary is subject to change for several reasons beyond our control, including strikes, weather, natural disasters, and terrain conditions. On some occasions, these conditions may demand us to deviate from our original schedule, in which case we will provide the best available alternative options. And we’ll make a great experience of it!
Included on the 4 Day Choquequirao Trek by Local Guides
- Private transport from hotel to Capuliyoc.
- Private transport back to hotel from Capuliyoc at the end of our journey.
- Entrance ticket to Choquequirao.
- Entrance ticket to Sayhuite monolith.
- PRO 4 season tent (04 people tent for 02 people)
- PRO air mattresses (Therma-Rest), and Pillow.
- Other camping equipment, a dining tent with table and chairs, and a kitchen tent, manned by a professional cooking staff.
- Professional Trek Leader.
- Meals: Breakfast (4), lunch (4), dinner (3), and snacks.
- A professional chef.
- Peru Summit™Duffel bags where to put your personal items.
- Horses, and muleteers; horses carry your 8-kg / 16-pound personal items.
- Oxygen Tank.
- Emergency Horse to escort us during the trek, feel free to ride or upload your personal day pack.
Not Included on the 4 Day Choquequirao Trek by Local Guides
- Sleeping bags (available for renting).
- Hiking poles (available for renting).
- Extra expenditure during the trek, such as: soda, alcoholic drinks, extra snacks.
- Tipping for Leaders, porters or muleteers, and other staff (expected but NOT compulsory, your own appreciation).
- Travel and health insurance (bring copies with you please), we highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation, interruption; an insurance to protect your travel investment, Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance. Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc. it should be covered by the passenger as a whole. Also, if you for physical reasons of health cannot continue the trek or walk, and will need emergency evacuation then all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc. will be at passenger’s expense.
Prices & Dates
For us, Semi-Private journeys mean more intimate experiences with an average of 4 participants in a group and fully supported by private experienced staff.
Select your travel date and join our upcoming amazing journeys. No problem if your date does not match with other listed fixed departures, we can open a new departure just with you on any date you wish. Feel free to email us or call us at +51 984 464 391, +51 984 585 909 with any questions or to confirm availability over the phone.
|Number of participants
||Price per person
||Total ($ USD)
||We have special rates for SOLO travelers. Get started by filling out the inquiry form.
||$ 1 800.00
||$ 2 610.00
||$ 3 360.00
||$ 4 050.00
||We have special rates for groups, which are over 6ppl. Get started by filling out the inquiry form.
(We have special rates for SOLO travelers. Get started by filling out the inquiry form.)
(We have special rates for groups, which are over 6ppl. Get started by filling out the inquiry form.)
Advantages of booking this trip in Private Service.
- Flexibility on dates: Choose your own dates, you decide when to start your journey.
- Perfect for families, group of mates (friends), honeymoon: Make this trip for you and your loved ones or someone special.
- Totally customizable: Travel the way you want; so you can travel exactly how you want. Book this trip as is or customize it to be as active or relaxed, rustic or luxurious as you wish to go. Perfect for multi-generational families and to celebrate a special anniversary or milestone birthday.
- Go at your own pace: Walk or explore on your own rhythm, forget to stay or keep up with the large groups. It's your own journey.
Note on Prices
- US$ 690/ per person (loop option available May through October, ask for availability)
- US$ 600/ per person (classic option available all year round, ask for detailed schedule)
A personal porter included to carry your 8kg / 16 pounds personal items.
Prices are quoted in US Dollars and all payments must be made in US Dollars. Prices are per person based on SEMI-PRIVATE service; we depart with 2 ppl as a minimum, 8 ppl as maximum, and an average of 4 ppl in a group. This trek is also based on double occupancy for tents in the trail.
Trip Payment Schedule
- At time of reservation: 30% of the total balance.
- 60 days prior to departure: Balance should be paid fully, or once upon your arrival in Cusco the other 70% of final balance must be paid fully.
Cancellation and Transfer Fee Schedule
- Minimum fee (hike permit fee): $100 per person
- 61-90 days prior to departure: 30% of trip cost
- 46-60 days prior to departure: 50% of trip cost
- 45 days or less: 100% of trip cost
What Makes Us Different!… Here’s, Why You Should Book With Us!
Making a choice of your right travel company/ tour operator is the most important decision you will make as you make your plans for a long-anticipated dreamed adventure. At first glance, some companies may seem cheaper. However, when you research a little deeper, you will see why traveling with Peru Summit Adventures assures that you will have the most memorable travel experience possible. In fact, we guarantee it, our TripAdvisor reviews say that.
Making genuine and sustainable itineraries often translate to real costs, with a host of responsible travel practices that underpin our prices, here are the reasons why you should go with us!
Little insignificant details make all the difference to get a successful trip and an unforgettable experience, that’s the point where our tailor-made trip specialists and destination experts work intensely. No stone is left unturned in our quest to deliver exceptional private tours, trekking tours, and expeditions in Peru. With us, it’s all about you and your traveling mates too, for sure! We take your wants, needs, time constraints, budgets, and personal travel style into account to deliver experiences that are far from standard.
Safety is at the core of everything we do at Peru Summit Adventures. There is nothing that we take more seriously. Put away your concerns and start enjoying the trip of your life knowing that you are on safe and sound hands. Peru Summit Adventures is a registered trademark and a licensed company by the Peruvian Ministry of Tourism (MINCETUR).
What an awesome to travel with someone who is from the same destination, a professional expert, it’s how you get the first-hand information. Our Peru Summit Adventures staff are friendly, funny, with deep knowledge on the route and destination, and great storytellers. We love what we do and it’s obvious. A simple concept, yes, but it makes all the difference. The team at Peru Summit Adventures all live and breathe the trip, experience, adventure, (you’ll see this when you arrive!). We love what we do, and it’s obvious. From the moment you arrive, you’ll feel the buzz and excitement that Peru Summit Adventures offers.
Could you imagine trying to hike silently along an isolated trail, carefully not disturbing shy wildlife, with 10 or 20 other travelers? Or walking on a remote area to explore the pristine wilderness with dozens of other tourists at your side? We know meaningful nature encounters must be undertaken in small groups. That’s why our trips come with an average of just four travelers, by far the smallest groups in the tourism industry across the country. This not only guarantees you more personal close-up wildlife experience, but a less-impact presence on the earth’s brittle natural places we love.
We are very confident the quality of our Choquequirao Trek 4 Days will get your expectations and that you will savor the best possible of cultural travel experience, nature travel experience, and adventure travel experience if you are dissatisfied, we’ll happily give you credit for an extra trip or for a future journey. It’s, to our knowledge, the best guarantee in the travel business.
We don’t believe any other tour companies make comparable trips when you take into account our unique itineraries and signature itineraries, impressive locations, small groups and quality Trek Leaders / Tour Leaders. But, should you come across a similar itinerary or matching itinerary of our quality at a cheaper price, even within 45 days after booking with us, we will happily refund the difference. It’s how we deliver our promise.
While other tour companies generally cancel their trips due to low participation of travelers or pass their travelers to other big groups tour operators, we guarantee that we will never cancel a trip because of low signing-up or participation for the departure date neither get our travelers to other tour operators! This makes to our travelers the assurance and peace of mind to know their travel plans are insured and guaranteed.
Probably you will see that most of the tour operators mention it on their websites that are local tour companies, however, if you research a little deeper you will find out that’s not true, they might be although half of the operation is done from here and another half abroad, they even have NorthAmerican phone number or European phone numbers, which is a clue to find out, we are not against the foreigner companies or half foreign companies, what we are against is that they lie.
In Cusco exist just few truly local tour operators. If you did not know, foreign companies come to Peru to get rich without paying a General Sales Tax or Tax Contribution to our country. If you did not know that, according to the United Nations, for every US $100 spent on a tour in a developing country or foreign travel companies, only $5 stays in the local economy. Normally, almost all of the money flows back to large companies operating outside the destination countries. As we are a local family enterprise, we guarantee that your travel expenditures will support the local economy, and improve the lives of Peruvians through contributing to general sales tax.
Be a responsible traveller! Let’s make this world a better place for everyone and for everyone that lives in it! The natural environments that we travel to are fragile and abundant with beautiful culture and traditions that are often reliant on tourism. We have a responsibility as travelers to minimize the impact of our presence, protect what is delicate, and leave a positive influence everywhere we can.
As a locally owned and based Peruvian tour company, we integrate these practices into our in-country operations we are aiming for a style of travel that makes the world a better place for everyone, and for everyone that lives in it. Since our very first days as a tour operator, responsible business has been at the heart of what we do. Peru Summit Adventures is committed not just to treading lightly, but to making a real difference by helping and investing in local communities, education initiatives, environmental conservation projects. These values are not more than just words, they are ingrained in the culture and philosophy of our crew, daily operations of Peru Summit Adventures trips, and at our office too.
Our Flawless Reviews | Your Words -- We Tell It Like It Is!
Experience of a lifetime
We had the most wonderful adventure celebrating our anniversary by hiking the Inca trail for four da
Amanda R from EEUU
Best trip of my life!
My experience, is an experience that i will cherish for the rest of my life for various reason. The
Michael P from EEUU
Trekking Machu Picchu
This was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Carlos was our guide and made our experi
Sam E from EEUU
Custom Salkantay Trek for 13 Plus Wedding!
I cannot even begin to put into words what an amazing experience my group had with Peru Summit Adven
Meridith Craven from EEUU
Ausengate Trek – Best 5 Days so far!
I did the 5 day Ausengate Trek (including the rainbow Mountain) with a friend, these 5 days were the
Stefanie from EEUU
Salkantay Walk with Peru Summit
Recently along with some friends we walked the Salkantay Trek organised and guided by Peru Summit. P
Daryl S from EEUU
- Original passport and some copies.
- Travel insurance (and some copies).
- Sleeping bag (or you can rent one from us).
- Backpack to carry your things.
- Phone and Camera charger and adapter.
- Torch or headlamps.
- Ear Plugs.
- Deet or mosquito repellent ( recommendable 30% deet).
- Hiking poles ( or you can rent one pair from us).
- Rain gear (especially if traveling in the wet season, from October to March).
- Comfortable hiking clothes, including warm clothes for the nighttime.
- Good hiking boots with protector ankle or similar, and one pair of flip-flops or light sandals.
- Sunblock and sunglasses.
- Hiking long sleeve T-shirts.
- Hiking trousers.
- Thermal underwear.
- Hiking socks.
- Water bottle or canteen.
- American dollars and peruvian soles in cash.
- Sun hat, cap, and warm hat and gloves for the nighttime.
- Toilet paper, and face tissue paper.
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen).
- Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may take).
Whats the Trip Like
Average daytime temperatures in and around Cusco generally range from 55º – 75º F with evenings cooling down into the 40º and 50º. Much of this itinerary takes place in the mountains, where weather can change very quickly and evening temperatures regularly drop into the 30º and 40º. As our treks are planned during the “dry season”, days are typically clear and pleasant, with afternoon clouds occasionally building and leading to small amounts of rainfall, and morning temperatures usually range from 35º and 45º with some frost on the tents, and frosty plains in some locations. While April and November departures may experience slightly higher amounts of rainfall, all-day rain is unusual. We will be hiking over multiple mountain passes which are over 14,104 ft, so should you be prepared for unpredictable mountain weather.
Local Private Tour Guides Are Part of the Core of Peru Summit Adventures and Your Perfect Local Companion
The perfect custom-made private tours, adventure tours, or expeditions don’t just happen. It takes a team of talented, knowledgeable, passionate, and experienced professionals to bring it all together and possible. Our team of Peru Summit Adventures Leaders is comprised of local trip veterans, seasoned tour veterans with rich backgrounds on history, archaeology, culture, cuisine, geology, biology, and more.
With the highest staff-to-guest ratio in the travel industry, our Trip Leaders safely deliver your trip-of-a-lifetime to maximize your Peru journeys and adventures every step of the way. Our Tour/Trek Leaders have worked extensively in the Peru isolated mountains, archaeological sites, hiking the Inca Trail (at least 150 times), Amazon jungle, and being at Machu Picchu for over 400 times at least, this guarantees your trip a unique and memorable experience.
Extend your Experience
Rainbow Mountain Peru Trek 1 Day
1 Day from $ 160.00
Choquequirao Trek & Machu Picchu 6 Days
6 Days from $ 1350.00
Moray, Maras Salt Mines, and Ollantaytambo
1 Day from $ 135.00
Choquequirao Trek 5 Days
5 Days from $ 790.00
Suggested Reading List
We have created a custom comprehensive listing of 4 Day Choquequirao Trek by Local Guides, Machu Picchu and Peru, Machu Picchu, and Peru travel books for this trip. Our reading list Peru is custom-designed to complement specific Peru Summit destinations. We feature a handpicked selection of travel guides, maps, literature, books on art, cuisine, nature, and culture, designed to help you get more out of your travels to Machu Picchu & Peru.