Cordillera Huayhuash Trek
Cordillera Huayhuash Trek–Snow-clad mountains and dramatic vistas color this 10-day trekking around the wilderness and wondrous “Cordillera Huayhuash and Siula Grande”.
There’s nothing quite like the hiking challenge presented by the Cordillera Blanca – are you ready to conquer it? More than just Everest Base Camp, this trek in the Cordillera Huayhuash Valley is one that gives people a different perspective on the valleys and peaks of the Andes. Peru’s Cordillera Huayhuash is a mountain-climber’s dream come true. Located in one of the most remote sections of the Andes, the range asks a lot from those who trek it. It has been called “the best alpine trek in the world”. Fabled for being the source of the mighty Amazon and having peaks that soar snow-fluted above 6,600m, the Huayhuash is a compact range of 20 main mountains knotted together by blue glacier ice: a place of visual magnificence. A journey around the entire range has more than 100 miles of hard, exhilarating walking, where thin-air passes link jagged mountains, azure lakes and vast skies. There are no less than 8 passes to cross, which ranges to 17,060 feet–Cordillera Huayhuash Trek 10 days.
Join us for the adventure of a lifetime – give us a call at +51 984 464 391 or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or book your spot today!
Think Green, Think Global for a Better Place for Everyone
Traveling with us you are making a big difference in favor of the environment, our trips to Cordillera Huayhuash Trek are rated as eco-friendly trips to ensure that fragile ecosystems are protected and maintained for future human generations, also maintain ecosystem and environment integrity through considering a sustainable and ethical business model. Making genuine and sustainable itineraries often translates to real costs, with a host of responsible travel practices that underpin our prices.
- Pick up time from hotel at 5:00 am
- We will take the road toward south passing by different villages like Recuay, Ticapampa, Catac, Conococha, and Chiquián at 3,400m/ 11,155ft the main place to stop before continuing, where you can buy some extra snacks, water, etc. We continue driving to Posca via Llamac.
- Our hike starts in Pocpa village and finishes a Cuartelhuaín at 4,100 m/ 13,451ft.
- Today the highest point is at 4,200m/ 13,780ft.
- Overnight at Cuartelhuaín.
- Hiking time: 4 – 5 hours
- Driving time: 4-5 hours
- Wake up call with coca tea at tents, next, breakfast.
- After breakfast, we will start hiking up to Cacanán Punta Pass at 4,700m/ 15,420ft. This point will allow us to enjoy impressive views of glacier peaks, valleys in far locations.
- Next, we will descend to Jancapampa a place with amazing views of Jirishanca and Ninashanca mountains at backdrops.
- We will spend the second night at Mitucocha (lagoon) at 4,250m/ 13,944ft.
- Hiking time: 5 – 6 hours
- Highest point: 4,700m/ 15,420ft
- Wake up call with hot tea at tents, next, breakfast.
- After a great breakfast, we will start to hike to the next pass, which is Carhuac Pass at 4,650m/ 15,256ft. From this pass, we will enjoy the stunning mountains of Yerupaja (6617m/ 21,709ft) and the famous Siula Grande (6344m/ 20,814ft).
- As of this point, the trail goes downhill to Carhuacocha lagoon (4,150m/ 13,615ft), where we will camp this night.
- Hiking time: 5 – 6 hours
- Highest point: 4,650m/ 15,256ft
- Early get up to have early breakfast while enjoying the sunrise upon the range.
- After a nutritious breakfast, we will start hiking to Siula pass, along the way we will enjoy the beautiful lagoons of Siula, Quesilococha, Cangracocha.
- The Siula pass is at 4,830m/ 15,846ft, a perfect place to savor the dramatic vistas in every direction.
- We will then descend to Huayhuash camp (4,330m/ 14,206).
- Hiking time: 6 – 7 hours
- Highest point: 4,830m/ 15,846ft
- We will start the day with a good breakfast as usual.
- We will begin a 4-hour trek to the Portachuelo Pass at 4,750m/ 15,584ft.
- Along the trail, we will enjoy the impressive views of Trapecio snowcapped mountain at 5,644m/ 18,517ft and the Puscanturpa mountain at 5,430m/ 17,815ft.
- Every highest point we will get every day will be a great opportunity to enjoy the amazing views of the mountains, valleys, and that’s the case at this pass from where we will see the Raura range.
- After the pass, we will begin a descent and arrive at Viconga Lagoon (4,360m/ 14,304ft), in which we will camp.
- There are hot springs at this place, the afternoon will be to enjoy it (hot springs are optional).
- Hiking time: 5 – 6 hours
- Highest point: 4,750m/ 15,584ft.
- A great breakfast will make us ready for the very strenuous day.
- Our hike begins ascending for three hours to Cuyoc pass at 5,000m/ 16,404ft. This place is a perfect one to enjoy the Cordillera Blanca mountains.
- We will descend to Elefante pampa, from where we will hike up to the next pass San Antonio at 5020m/ 16,470ft. After reaching this point and have wonderful views of the Cordillera Huayhuash, we will continue to the Huanacpatay Camp (4200m/ 13,780ft) for spending the night over here.
- Hiking time: 8 – 9 hours
- Highest point: 5020m/ 16,470ft.
- After breakfast, we will descend down to Huayllapa town by Huanacpatay Valley. Huayllapa is an isolated village, where there are some small shops to buy some extra batteries, or any other items for the upcoming trek days.
- Once making a break in this village, we will hike up the narrow valley to get our next campsite Huatiac (4,200m/ 13,780ft).
- Hiking time: 6 – 7 hours
- Highest point: 4,200m/ 13,780ft.
- We will make a 4-hour trek to the Tapush Pass (4,800m/ 15,748ft) en route we will see the Diablo Mudo mountain, Susucocha Lagoon, and more sections of the Cordillera Blanca.
- Our hike continues until reaching the Gaspapampa Camp (4,500m/ 14,764ft), where we will spend the night.
- Hiking time: 4 – 5 hours
- Highest point: 4,800m/ 15,748ft
- Today, we will hike for 4 hours to Yaucha Pass (4,800m/ 15,748ft). From this spot, we will have great views of the Cordillera Huayhuash and Yerupaja mountain.
- From the pass, the trail comes downhill again to Jahuacocha Lagoon (4,150m/ 13,615ft), which is the last campsite.
- Hiking time: 6 – 7 hours
- Highest point: 4,800m/ 15,748ft
- Today is the last day of trekking to reach the Llamac village, we will still have the last pass, which is Llamac pass at 4,300m/ 14,108ft. The last chance to savor the dramatic views of the Cordillera Huayhuash, which has been our perfect companionship over the week. We will then descend to Llamac village where we will have our last lunch, say goodbye to our muleteers, and take our private transportation back to Huaraz.
- Hiking time: 5 – 6 hours
- Highest point: 4,300m/ 14,108ft
- Driving time: 4 hours
Note on Itinerary
Although we do our very best possible to adhere to the schedule above, this itinerary is subject to change for several reasons beyond our control, including strikes, weather, natural disasters, and terrain conditions. On some occasions, these conditions may demand us to deviate from our original schedule, in which case we will provide the best available alternative options. And we’ll make a great experience of it!
Included on the Cordillera Huayhuash Trek 10 Days
- Transportation from Huaraz to Llamac town.
- Transportation back to hotel from Llamac town at the end of trek.
- Camping Equipment 4 season tent (04 people tent for 02 people)
- Therms-Rest mattress, comes with Pillow.
- Other camping equipment, a dining tent with table and chairs, and a kitchen tent, manned by a professional cooking staff.
- Trekking Leader, our leaders are equipped and trained to practice First-Aid, administer oxygen if needed, and conduct radio communication.
- Meals: Breakfast (09), lunch (10), dinner (09), and snacks.
- A professional Quechua chef.
- Emergency Horse, that escorts us during the trek (feel free to upload your personal items or ride)
- Horses, and muleteers; to carry your personal items.
- Duffle bags to put in your gears, which are carried by horses from camp to camp
Not Included on the Cordillera Huayhuash Trek 10 Days
- Sleeping bags, you can get them rented from us, US$5 per day.
- Hiking poles, you can get them rented from us, US$5 per day a pair of poles, Black Diamond or leki brand.
- Extra expenditure during the trek, such as: soda, alcoholic drinks, extra snacks, tickets for the hot Springs.
- Tipping for the guides, porters or muleteers, and other staff.
- Travel Insurance and things of a personal nature – laundry and telephone calls, personal taxis, souvenirs etc.
- Travel and health insurance (bring copies with you please), we highly recommend to get an insurance of trip cancellation, interruption; an insurance to protect your travel investment, Included with your pre-departure package, bring your travel insurance to cover trip cancellation, interruption, baggage loss and delay, emergency medical evacuation insurance and emergency medical expense insurance. Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc. it should be covered by the passenger as a whole. Also, if you for physical reasons of health cannot continue the trek or walk, and will need emergency evacuation then all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc. will be at passenger’s expense.
Prices & Dates
For us, Semi-Private journeys mean more intimate experiences with an average of 4 participants in a group and fully supported by private experienced staff.
Select your travel date and join our upcoming amazing journeys. No problem if your date does not match with other listed fixed departures, we can open a new departure just with you on any date you wish. Feel free to email us or call us at +51 984 464 391, +51 984 585 909 with any questions or to confirm availability over the phone.
|Number of participants
||Price per person
||Total ($ USD)
||We have special rates for SOLO travelers. Get started by filling out the inquiry form.
||$ 7 000.00
||$ 10 440.00
||$ 13 800.00
||$ 17 000.00
||We have special rates for groups, which are over 6ppl. Get started by filling out the inquiry form.
(We have special rates for SOLO travelers. Get started by filling out the inquiry form.)
(We have special rates for groups, which are over 6ppl. Get started by filling out the inquiry form.)
Advantages of booking this trip in Private Service.
- Flexibility on dates: Choose your own dates, you decide when to start your journey.
- Perfect for families, group of mates (friends), honeymoon: Make this trip for you and your loved ones or someone special.
- Totally customizable: Travel the way you want; so you can travel exactly how you want. Book this trip as is or customize it to be as active or relaxed, rustic or luxurious as you wish to go. Perfect for multi-generational families and to celebrate a special anniversary or milestone birthday.
- Go at your own pace: Walk or explore on your own rhythm, forget to stay or keep up with the large groups. It's your own journey.
Note on Prices
A personal porter included to carry your 8kg / 16 pounds personal items.
Prices are quoted in US Dollars and all payments must be made in US Dollars. Prices are per person based on SEMI-PRIVATE service; we depart with 2 ppl as a minimum, 8 ppl as maximum, and an average of 4 ppl in a group. This trek is also based on double occupancy for tents in the trail.
Trip Payment Schedule
- At time of reservation: 30% of the total balance.
- 60 days prior to departure: Balance should be paid fully, or once upon your arrival in Cusco the other 70% of final balance must be paid fully.
Cancellation and Transfer Fee Schedule
- Minimum fee (tour permit fee): $250 per person
- 61-90 days prior to departure: 30% of trip cost
- 46-60 days prior to departure: 50% of trip cost
- 45 days or less: 100% of trip cost
What Makes Us Different!… Here’s, Why You Should Book With Us!
Making a choice of your right travel company/ tour operator is the most important decision you will make as you make your plans for a long-anticipated dreamed adventure. At first glance, some companies may seem cheaper. However, when you research a little deeper, you will see why traveling with Peru Summit Adventures assures that you will have the most memorable travel experience possible. In fact, we guarantee it, our TripAdvisor reviews say that.
Making genuine and sustainable itineraries often translate to real costs, with a host of responsible travel practices that underpin our prices, here are the reasons why you should go with us!
Little insignificant details make all the difference to get a successful trip and an unforgettable experience, that’s the point where our tailor-made trip specialists and destination experts work intensely. No stone is left unturned in our quest to deliver exceptional private tours, trekking tours, and expeditions in Peru. With us, it’s all about you and your traveling mates too, for sure! We take your wants, needs, time constraints, budgets, and personal travel style into account to deliver experiences that are far from standard.
Safety is at the core of everything we do at Peru Summit Adventures. There is nothing that we take more seriously. Put away your concerns and start enjoying the trip of your life knowing that you are on safe and sound hands. Peru Summit Adventures is a registered trademark and a licensed company by the Peruvian Ministry of Tourism (MINCETUR).
What an awesome to travel with someone who is from the same destination, a professional expert, it’s how you get the first-hand information. Our Peru Summit Adventures staff are friendly, funny, with deep knowledge on the route and destination, and great storytellers. We love what we do and it’s obvious. A simple concept, yes, but it makes all the difference. The team at Peru Summit Adventures all live and breathe the trip, experience, adventure, (you’ll see this when you arrive!). We love what we do, and it’s obvious. From the moment you arrive, you’ll feel the buzz and excitement that Peru Summit Adventures offers.
Could you imagine trying to hike silently along an isolated trail, carefully not disturbing shy wildlife, with 10 or 20 other travelers? Or walking on a remote area to explore the pristine wilderness with dozens of other tourists at your side? We know meaningful nature encounters must be undertaken in small groups. That’s why our trips come with an average of just four travelers, by far the smallest groups in the tourism industry across the country. This not only guarantees you more personal close-up wildlife experience, but a less-impact presence on the earth’s brittle natural places we love.
We are very confident the quality of our Cordillera Huayhuash Trek will get your expectations and that you will savor the best possible of cultural travel experience, nature travel experience, and adventure travel experience if you are dissatisfied, we’ll happily give you credit for an extra trip or for a future journey. It’s, to our knowledge, the best guarantee in the travel business.
We don’t believe any other tour companies make comparable trips when you take into account our unique itineraries and signature itineraries, impressive locations, small groups and quality Trek Leaders / Tour Leaders. But, should you come across a similar itinerary or matching itinerary of our quality at a cheaper price, even within 45 days after booking with us, we will happily refund the difference. It’s how we deliver our promise.
While other tour companies generally cancel their trips due to low participation of travelers or pass their travelers to other big groups tour operators, we guarantee that we will never cancel a trip because of low signing-up or participation for the departure date neither get our travelers to other tour operators! This makes to our travelers the assurance and peace of mind to know their travel plans are insured and guaranteed.
Probably you will see that most of the tour operators mention it on their websites that are local tour companies, however, if you research a little deeper you will find out that’s not true, they might be although half of the operation is done from here and another half abroad, they even have NorthAmerican phone number or European phone numbers, which is a clue to find out, we are not against the foreigner companies or half foreign companies, what we are against is that they lie.
In Cusco exist just few truly local tour operators. If you did not know, foreign companies come to Peru to get rich without paying a General Sales Tax or Tax Contribution to our country. If you did not know that, according to the United Nations, for every US $100 spent on a tour in a developing country or foreign travel companies, only $5 stays in the local economy. Normally, almost all of the money flows back to large companies operating outside the destination countries. As we are a local family enterprise, we guarantee that your travel expenditures will support the local economy, and improve the lives of Peruvians through contributing to general sales tax.
Be a responsible traveller! Let’s make this world a better place for everyone and for everyone that lives in it! The natural environments that we travel to are fragile and abundant with beautiful culture and traditions that are often reliant on tourism. We have a responsibility as travelers to minimize the impact of our presence, protect what is delicate, and leave a positive influence everywhere we can.
As a locally owned and based Peruvian tour company, we integrate these practices into our in-country operations we are aiming for a style of travel that makes the world a better place for everyone, and for everyone that lives in it. Since our very first days as a tour operator, responsible business has been at the heart of what we do. Peru Summit Adventures is committed not just to treading lightly, but to making a real difference by helping and investing in local communities, education initiatives, environmental conservation projects. These values are not more than just words, they are ingrained in the culture and philosophy of our crew, daily operations of Peru Summit Adventures trips, and at our office too.
Our Flawless Reviews | Your Words -- We Tell It Like It Is!
Experience of a lifetime
We had the most wonderful adventure celebrating our anniversary by hiking the Inca trail for four da
Amanda R from EEUU
Best trip of my life!
My experience, is an experience that i will cherish for the rest of my life for various reason. The
Michael P from EEUU
Trekking Machu Picchu
This was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Carlos was our guide and made our experi
Sam E from EEUU
Custom Salkantay Trek for 13 Plus Wedding!
I cannot even begin to put into words what an amazing experience my group had with Peru Summit Adven
Meridith Craven from EEUU
Ausengate Trek – Best 5 Days so far!
I did the 5 day Ausengate Trek (including the rainbow Mountain) with a friend, these 5 days were the
Stefanie from EEUU
Salkantay Walk with Peru Summit
Recently along with some friends we walked the Salkantay Trek organised and guided by Peru Summit. P
Daryl S from EEUU
- Travel insurance (and some copies).
- Original Passport (and some copies)
- 4 season Sleeping bag -15ºC (or you can rent one from us).
- Sleeping bag liner.
- Backpack to carry your things.
- Phone and Camera charger and adapter.
- Ear Plugs.
- Torch or headlamps.
- Deet or mosquito repellent ( recommendable 30% deet).
- Hiking poles ( or you can rent one pair from us).
- Rain gear (especially if traveling in the wet season, from October to March).
- Comfortable hiking clothes, including warm clothes for the nighttime.
- Good hiking boots with protector ankle or similar, and one pair of flip-flops or light sandals.
- Sunblock and sunglasses.
- Hiking long sleeve T-shirts.
- Hiking trousers.
- Thermal underwear.
- Hiking socks.
- Hands sanitizer
- Water bottle or canteen.
- American dollars and peruvian soles in cash.
- Sun hat, cap, and warm hat and gloves for the nighttime.
- Toilet paper, and face tissue paper.
- Anti-inflammatory tablets (e.g. Ibuprofen).
- Personal first-aid kit (should contain lip salve, Aspirin, Band Aids, anti-histamine, Imodium or similar tablets for mild cases of diarrhea, re-hydration powder, extra prescription drugs you may take).
Whats the Trip Like
Average daytime temperatures in and around Huaraz generally range from 55º – 75º F with evenings cooling down into the 40º and 50º. Much of this itinerary takes place in the mountains, where weather can change very quickly and evening temperatures regularly drop into the 30º and 40º. As our treks are planned during the “dry season”, days are typically clear and pleasant, with afternoon clouds occasionally building and leading to small amounts of rainfall, and morning temperatures usually range from 35º and 45º with some frost on the tents, and frosty plains in some locations. While April and November departures may experience slightly higher amounts of rainfall, all-day rain is unusual. We will be hiking over multiple mountain passes which are over 14,104 ft, so should you be prepared for unpredictable mountain weather.
Local Private Tour Guides Are Part of the Core of Peru Summit Adventures and Your Perfect Local Companion
The perfect custom-made private tours, adventure tours, or expeditions don’t just happen. It takes a team of talented, knowledgeable, passionate, and experienced professionals to bring it all together and possible. Our team of Peru Summit Adventures Leaders is comprised of local trip veterans, seasoned tour veterans with rich backgrounds on history, archaeology, culture, cuisine, geology, biology, and more.
With the highest staff-to-guest ratio in the travel industry, our Trip Leaders safely deliver your trip-of-a-lifetime to maximize your Peru journeys and adventures every step of the way. Our Tour/Trek Leaders have worked extensively in the Peru isolated mountains, archaeological sites, hiking the Inca Trail (at least 150 times), Amazon jungle, and being at Machu Picchu for over 400 times at least, this guarantees your trip a unique and memorable experience.
Extend your Experience
Machu Picchu Tour and Rainbow Mountain 5 Days
5 Days from $ 1200.00
Choquequirao Trek to Machu Picchu 9 Days
9 Days from $ 1850.00
Ausangate Trek 7 Days to Machu Picchu
7 Days from $ 1550.00
Inca Trail 5 Days, A Premium Collection Trek
5 Days from $ 1500.00
Suggested Reading List
We have created a custom comprehensive listing of Cordillera Huayhuash Trek 10 Days, Machu Picchu and Peru, Machu Picchu, and Peru travel books for this trip. Our reading list Peru is custom-designed to complement specific Peru Summit destinations. We feature a handpicked selection of travel guides, maps, literature, books on art, cuisine, nature, and culture, designed to help you get more out of your travels to Machu Picchu & Peru.